The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello from the midwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/11472-hello-midwest.html)

muskyman 10-13-2009 04:06 PM

Hello from the midwest

Hi

My name is Thom and I am a fly fishing aholic:D

I spend most my fishing time chasing musky with fly tackle and I fish northern wisconsin rivers and lakes.

I have spent a good deal of time down in Florida as well and have done a good deal of shallow back country stuff.

I love to drive back to isolated back country lakes where most people are not willing to work hard enough to access or dont have the vehichle for it.

I have a 11 year old daughter and she is just starting to come into her own with a fly rod so the next few years should be great.

If anyone has any questions on flyfishing for musky I have been chasing them for about 20 years now with fly tackle and I love to share information.

Thom

MoscaPescador 10-13-2009 11:53 PM

Re: Hello from the midwest

Welcome to the party, Muskyman. I look forward into reading your future posts.

MP

jpbfly 10-14-2009 02:24 PM

:welcomean from across the pond.Pike is great and fascinating fish;)

Frank Whiton 10-14-2009 03:13 PM

Hi Thom,

Welcome to the forum. We have some other Musky chasers as members. I hope we get to see some pictures of a few Muskies. Do you tie flies?

Frank

Hardyreels 10-15-2009 12:52 AM

Hi Thom,

I have never caught a Musky but I know I would like it. I'll echo Frank in saying I'll look forward to some photographs of the fish you're catching. Don't be afraid to take landscape pictures of all the beautiful places you fish so we can see them too.

Ard

Kerry Pitt 10-15-2009 09:52 AM

Hi there Muskyman! I have never fished for Musky before, just Pike up here in Northern Alberta.
This is a great place to be, lots of knowledge and really great folks. I hope you will post a few pictures and tell a few stories here, sort of helps us northern people get through the hard water months.:)

jpbfly 10-15-2009 12:44 PM

I Thought a musky was a pike....so can someone explain the difference?;)
waiting forward to your replies:thumbsupu

Frank Whiton 10-15-2009 03:27 PM

Hi JP,

Their body shapes are very similar and they are from the same family. The coloring is different on the two fish and the Musky gets much bigger. Here is a link that lays it all out.

Frank

jpbfly 10-15-2009 03:38 PM

Thanks a lot Frank!Just read the article from the link....but What surprises me is that ....If my memories are....good,the pikes I caught looked very much like muskies:D(mainly the colors)

Frank Whiton 10-15-2009 04:07 PM

Hi JP,

I guess I could say that the Musky I have caught looked like a Pike.;)

Frank