The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 01:14 AM

mikem is on a distinguished road
Default Howdy From Texas

I am new to Forms but not new to fishing. I enoy both fresh and saltwater fishing in Texas. I live in the Texas Hill Country and enjoy kayaking and fly fishing the Guadalupe, Llano, Frio, and Medina Rivers. I have recently been trying locate and purchase some small spoons that a friend turned me on to. I believe the spoons were made by Hoffman. They are very small and have a white bucktail tied to the shank. I have searched the internet looking for similar spoons to Fly fish with to no avail. Does anyone have have suggestions for small spoons or where I could purchase them?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Howdy From Texas

Welcome to the group Mike! You are in a great area for fly fishing and one that I know well. I went to Trinity and worked at the Tackle Box while in college. Let me know if you want info on some great spots around that area.

On the spoons, I'm not sure either where to find them. Are these that you're talking about metal or an epoxied plastic?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:37 AM

mikem is on a distinguished road

Hey Cliff. Thanks for the reply. The Hoffman spoons were small metal spoons made for fly fishing. I have heard that the company that made them went out of business. Are you familiar with any other similar spoons for fly fishing? In regards to info on good fishing in the hill country, I would love to fish the Devils River and the Nueces. I have talked to several people who have kayaked the Devils and they say it is incredible. I have heard the same about the Nueces near Campwood. I will be spending the first week in June on the Frio and look forward to Kayaking and fishing if the water is not too low.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hmm, sounds like we may just be out of luck on the spoons. I won't cry over it though, as they sure twist up leaders. Small crazy charlies where the whole wing is made out of silver, gold, or copper krystal flash have served me just about as well. (on the coast anyway)

I have also heard great things about the Nueces near Camp Wood, I just never managed to make it out there or to the Devils. Intend to someday. Most all of my spots ranged from Bandera to Kerrville to Johnson City.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Welcome, good to see more people from close to my neck of the woods...Lot of really good folks here....

Bruce
Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Good folks, Great barbecue, and even better fishing. (Was almost torn as to whether the fishing or barbecue is better. No better area in the world for barbecue.)

Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I believe a company called Dick Knight, or something like that makes tiny spoons for ultralight spinfishing. I used to use them when trolling for trout with a rigger. Do a google search for them.

They made spoons as small as 1/2" long.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

http://www.dicknite.com/

Here you go!