The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure if I've introduced myself, but hello from flyover country!

Hey folks, I registered on the site a few months ago but just became truly "active," so I figured I'd say hello.

I'm Tom, I'm 24 years old and an avid fly-fisherman from St. Louis, Missouri. I began tying flies when I was nine or ten, and formally took up fly-fishing around the age of 13.

I learned most of what I know from being a regular at a local fly-shop, and have become a fairly proficient fly-tier and freshwater angler. Most of my experience is on trout and smallmouth streams of the midwest, though I have some experience fishing trout streams of the southeast as well as the Rocky Mountains area, as well as some saltwater angling in the Florida Keys.

I graduated from the University of Missouri (Mizzou) with a two Bachelor's, one in Fisheries management and another in Forestry- after spending the past two years working a variety of jobs I've currently found myself "on sabbatical," looking forward to either graduate school or quasi-permanent employment

In all, I'm glad to have found this site, and figure it is an excellent resource for novice and experienced anglers. I hope to learn a lot, and perhaps help other anglers with some of the things I've learned in my decade or so of angling.

I look forward to it!

-Tom
Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure if I've introduced myself, but hello from flyover country!

Tom: Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your posts and your fishing reports.

Larry
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Tom. Likewise, look forward to what you have to say.
One of your St Louis anglers that used to frequent the F-C fly shop just moved to my town. A joy to talk with him.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Tom.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Forum and we look forward to sharing fishing experiences. Everyone should have fly shops like they have in St Louis.

If I had your education background I would be heading to the North West or up to Alaska looking for a job. I would also check out the Federal Parks system for work.

Frank
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the site Tom...When I was spending time in St.Louis negotiating our Health and Welfare packages I was able to go spend some time at FC...Nothing like a friendly fly shop to get your mind off things.

Dan
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tom,

New voices are always welcome and having a fisheries guy in the group will be a good thing, look forward to many questions.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

on the forum Tom.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

I actually have a friend who spends his summers working for the Forest Service in Alaska, and I may be doing that next May.

Other than that I applied to graduate school in Vermont and Utah, and even applied to a technician job in Florida, helicoptering into the Everglades to sample invertebrates. Finding jobs in the field right now is tough, but I'm up for just about anything, and I'm still confident I'll find something soon to make me happy for a while..

And thanks for the welcome guys, I appreciate it!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome, Tom.

The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (I think that's what it's called) is looking to hire point people in several inter-mountain states. You might want to look into that. These are state coordinator non-profit jobs dealing with a variety of public lands and natural resource conservation type issues where you get a bunch of sportsmen's groups, conservation orgs, and gov't agencies to pull together on specific projects. They're great jobs for young fly fishermen with natural resource oriented degrees.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist