The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM

threeweight will become famous soon enough
Default Is my fly (box) open?

Thought I'd introduce myself with a few short thoughts.

Been fly fishing and tying flies since I was a kid and am more into it than ever at 52.

Am building a new landing net this winter from cold-bent ash. My old one, built 25 years ago is too small for the monsters I'm hauling in these days and does not fit the lovely new clear rubber net bags. I got sick of snagging hooks in my old netting.

I use nearly barbless hooks in order to catch and eat wild trout. Can't see the point in fishing without a grill or frying pan in camp.

I fished with one rod and reel for many years and prefer to keep things simple. Now up to two rods ( a 3 and a 5) and tempted to add a 4wt. It's as slippery slope.

Live in Berkeley, CA but prefer to fish in the northern Rockies where there are more fish and fewer humans.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my fly (box) open?

threeweight: Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your participation and yes acquiring fly rods can be a very slippery slope, be careful (the addiction continues)!

Larry

Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
be careful (the addiction continues)!
Indeed brother!!!

Welcome threeweight.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi 3,

Welcome to the group, with a 3 & a 5, and fishing the west you may want to look at a 7 weight and start thinking big streamers on bigger water, sounds like you have the light lines covered. You are not all that far from steelhead country either so..................... Your thoughts will always be welcome here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

threeweight!

Its nice to see another fellow Northern Californian on the board, but if I lived in Berzerkeley I'd want to get as far away as possible to fish too.

With your many years of fishing and tying I very much look forward to reading what you have to share.

Hope to see you on the water!

May I ask your name Sir?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the party, Three. Northern California is rich with fishable waters, but, unfortunately, conditions are out of wack with the wild spring weather and high water releases.

I look forward to reading your posts.

MP