The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Joining the Fray from NOVA (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/12475-joining-fray-nova.html)

drumstix61 01-30-2010 01:20 AM

Joining the Fray from NOVA

Hi folks!

First off,let me say that this is truly one of the best FF forums I've seen.

Grew up in Southwest PA,bout an hour from Pittsburgh.
Fishing and hunting were a big part of my families activities.Lots of places to fish,but never got the chance to get further Northeast for Natives,but as long as a rod was in hand I was happy.

In 5th grade I was very lucky,as my homeroom teacher was an avid fisherman,and taught a fly-tying class.
I bought my first fly outfit and was hooked.

15 years ago I moved to Virginia for work,and was clueless as to where to fish.
Luckily,thru some scouting and asking around,I found some local stocked waters,but they were usually "fished out" not long after the truck was gone.

Then an amazing event took place...I fished a Tributary called Little Stony Creek...
and caught my first Native Brookie!
My gosh it was beautiful!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...FH000008-1.jpg

By chance there was a flyshop in town,Feathered Hook Outfitters,and I stopped in.
Roy and Wes asked me where I fished,I told them the GW Forest streams,and they told me to get myself onto the streams of Shenandoah National Park.

I cannot thank them enough.

Enough rambling,nice to have found you all.

Cheers,Stix.:)

HuronRiverDan 01-30-2010 06:52 AM

Re: Joining the Fray from NOVA

Drumstix, welcome to the forum...Looking forward to seeing more pics of those beautiful Brookies...

Dan

axle27 01-30-2010 08:32 AM

YO, STIX!!!!

Been trying to get in touch with ya....Jonesin' to go fishing....we gotta hook up and fling some midges or something. Got my 3wt rigged and ready to go.

dmwphoto 01-30-2010 08:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. It is a great resource for information, friends and fun.
Keep us posted on your ramblings in the park.

mcnerney 01-30-2010 09:34 AM

Stix: Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to hearing about your fishing exploits. Great looking wild brookie by the way!

Larry

FrankB2 01-31-2010 06:18 PM

Hey Stix! Welcome to the best FF'ing forum I've found. :)
Love the pic, and look forward to seeing more.

drumstix61 02-05-2010 11:16 AM

Thanks for the welcome!
More pics to come for sure.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by axle27 (Post 80341)
YO, STIX!!!!

Been trying to get in touch with ya....Jonesin' to go fishing....we gotta hook up and fling some midges or something. Got my 3wt rigged and ready to go.

I hear ya Axle,I'm jonesing too...:D

Congrats on the 3 weight!
Perfect for the Park streams.
Watcha end up getting?

The sad part bro,is that with all the snow and rain we had lately,and not to mention this coming big storm,
I fear the creeks may be blown out,let alone getting access to them...
My poor Brookies.:(

Guess we could hit Redbud when the roads are clear,let me know your schedule and we'll make it happen.

Soon my friend,soon.:p

Cheers,Stix.:)

axle27 02-05-2010 03:05 PM

Had the 3wt for a bit. Cliff sold it to me for a song....and I really can't sing. Put a 10m Cortland DT line on it. Action is a little slow, but I can deal with it. I can cast it into the backing in the backyard.

I hear ya on the streams. When I clears, we'll hit someplace.

Hardyreels 02-05-2010 08:52 PM

Hi Stix,

Welcome to the group. I lived in VA. for two years, there are plenty of hidden gems in those mountains and you can hit a different one every week. This is about the best bunch of people you could ever join up with. We are everywhere!

Ard