The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
thewoodsman

Default Steve from NJ

Hi everyone. My name is steve and i have NEVER fly fished before. I just got a complete fly making setup and gave it a go. My picture isn't the best so you might not be able to see my gorilla glue marks, but they are there, so i was wondering what glue do you guy's use to make sure your feathers don't slip? Anyway i am brand new so any tips you feel like sending my way would be appreciated, thanks.

001-1.jpg picture by TheeWoodsman - Photobucket
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM

bobbymojo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steve from NJ

Welcome to the forum. I am new here myself but have found people to be helpful.

I was actually just introduced to a fly tying secret, using Sally Hansen Hard as Nails to complete the fly. This is a fingernail polish product but it works great. You could also use a fly tying head cement that they sell in many places on-line or at places like Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bob
Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Steve,

Glad you have registered with us, I've been using a lacquer cement from Wapsi for years. It is thin enough to dab each step as I tie and gives a nice finish to the heads when done. I am pasting a picture to show the finish you get with two coats. It will do a nice job on small stuff (like dries & nymphs) also.

Ard

Two Coats;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoodsman View Post
Hi everyone. My name is steve and i have NEVER fly fished before. I just got a complete fly making setup and gave it a go. My picture isn't the best so you might not be able to see my gorilla glue marks, but they are there, so i was wondering what glue do you guy's use to make sure your feathers don't slip? Anyway i am brand new so any tips you feel like sending my way would be appreciated, thanks.

001-1.jpg picture by TheeWoodsman - Photobucket
Welcome Steve, lots of fly fishing clubs in NJ. There are a few saltwater clubs in south Jersey and some Trout Unlimited Chapters further north. What part of NJ are you from?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board Steve from another NJ native! This site is great, you'll learn a lot. See you on the board, and maybe on the water.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve and welcome,
Just a little tip about your fly box. The springs that hold the hooks will rust if you're not careful, ruining every fly in there. So make sure it's all dry before you put it away.

Guess how I know that !
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

to the forum Steve! As one of the members mentioned Fly Fishing clubs, I'm glad to read there are several in your area. I'd highly recommend joining one. all the one's I've heard of have classes for everything regarding fly fishing and fly tying that they give for free or usually much cheaper than anywhere else. Joining one and taking classes will make a world of difference in your tying. I've been fly fishing for 25 years and tried learning fly tying years ago on my own with only a book and some videos and became frustrated with my results shortly. This year I picked up fly tying again and purchased a better vise than the one I had before which didn't hold hooks well and then took a beginner fly tying course from the Fly Fishing club I belong too. Also clubs can be good sources of quality used fly fishing gear if you are interested in learning to fly fish as well as tie flies. There are not many things I've done that are more satisfying than catching a fish on a fly I've tied. Club members are nearly always willing to help a new Fly Fisher and/or tyer and you might even be able to find someone who has been doing one or both for many years who would show you the ropes.

This forum is also a wealth of information and the members are always will to share their knowledge and wisdom.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Steve....we have some bears and cavemen here....you're the first woodsman
Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. We have a bunch of great fly tiers and all are happy to help out a new guy.

Here is a link on how to post pictures on NAFFF.

Frank
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Steve-- it sounds like you're having a lot of fun tying.

I use Sally Hansen's a lot too-- for finishing the heads on flies. But for actually keeping materials in place you'll want to rely more on the thread wraps as opposed to gluing stuff in place-- it'll take just a little while to develop a feel for how tightly you can wrap without breaking your thread (thinner threads will break with less pressure than thicker threads) and how to position materials using thread torque using techniques such as a "distribution wrap" or cinch materials in place with a "pinch wrap".

And you're better off with a few a few tight adjacent wraps than a whole bunch of loose wraps of thread haphazardly wrapped over each other.

There are excellent sources of instruction out there including books, free videos on you tube, and a ton of very active fly fishing clubs in NJ--- and feel free to ask more questions here.