The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Hello

I joined this forum about a week ago originally because I'm going down to the Smoky Mountains in June and wanted to learn more about the sport of fly fishing and the art of fly tying. I was down there last year with my wife on our one year wedding anniversary. There were so many things we wanted to do but we ran out of time, and wanting to fly fish was one of them. My home waters are in East-Central Illinois with only one state park, in my area, stocking trout in one of their lakes. I'm currently pan-fish, bass & catfish angler. I'm wanting to add fly fishing and fly tying to my arsenal. Thanks for reading.

Kevin

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Hello

Welcome Kevin, you joined an awesome site.

Grab a bite to eat, pull up a chair and the bathroom is just down the hall to the left.

I fish in the GSMNP often and really enjoy it. There is a group of us heading there on May 13-15 for the Troutfest Troutfest Great Smoky Mountains Fly Fishing Exposition in Townsend. TN. Keep that in mind for any future trips to the Great Smoky Mountains.

Let me know if I can help you with any information.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin.You've come to the right place to start flyfishing and flytying
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Welcome Kevin to a sport of never ending addiction. Lot's of good guys(and gals) here and much info.
Mike
Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Kevin. Looking forward to your posts.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kevin welcome to the forum-- glad you found us.

I only fished down there a couple times near Gatlinburg but found this book to be helpful, especially since it pointed out different streams and watersheds to explore away from the crowds and inner tubers and how to access them. And it looks like you can get new copies for $3.88?:

Amazon.com: Fly-Fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains (9780897322355): Don Kirk: Books Amazon.com: Fly-Fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains (9780897322355): Don Kirk: Books

Keep asking questions-- you'll probably have a ton as you get into fly fishing tying, and popperfly is a great resource for you on fishing the GSMNP.