The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 AM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Backpack angler here

Hello all,

I've already done a post here and there. But I just saw this gallery so I thought I would pop in and introduce myself. I am mainly a backpack angler. Before fly fishing, I have done almost no fishing in my life. I am passionate about backcountry life. My goal in life is to make the most of the three months each summer on the high-lakes of the Rocky Mountain backcountry. I pretty much only fish areas that require some work by foot to get to. Everyone else can have the fishing pressure of the roadside waters to themselves. I just started fly fishing a few summers ago and I am a true addict.

The reason why I got into fly fishing was that I always ended up at beautiful high-altitude lakes at the end of the trails I hiked. And I always saw pristine trout cruising and feeding in the shallows......so it was a natural transition. I love food, namely seafood, namely salmon. And I found out that trout are the closest of cousins to salmon. Therefore, I thought I would catch hordes of delicious trout above timberline and bring them home to cook for my wife and I. But only one problem........I discovered that I think high-country trout are some of the most beautiful creatures on Earth. And I've had a problem with pillaging high-lakes for meat. So I only harvest fish from fisheries that are over-populated with trout, mainly brook trout. And I do harvest quite a bit of Rainbows that are stocked at some of the high-country reservoirs here in Colorado.

My favorite areas are the Flat Tops, Rawahs, and the Zirkel in Colorado and the Wind River range in Wyoming. I have never visited the Beartooths in Montana, but I hopefully will in the next summer or two.

Although I will never disclose my favorite high-country trout locations, I am very open to inquires about the backcountry areas I am knowledgeable about, which include the wilderness' of Colorado and the Wind River range of Wyoming. I have extensive knowledge about trailheads and trail conditions in these areas. Lemme know.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backpack angler here

countr21: Welcome to the forum, looking forward to reading your posts and viewing some of the photos from your journeys. Trout Unlimited did a show a couple weeks back on some of the hight mountain lakes in the Rocky Mountain NP, tht was pretty interesting, just wondering if you happened to catch it.

Larry
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Larry,

I have read on the forums about the Trout Unlimited show. but I cannot seem to find it on my cable system. What channel is it on? I would love to see a show about fishing the high-lakes of Rocky Mountain NP. I've fished for little Greenbacks dozens of times up there.

And you'll see many of my photos this summer. I got my first digital camera last summer and I love posting pics of my fishing exploits.

Josh

BTW, I love your avatar. The A-10 Warthog is my favorite combat plane.......what an awesome gun!!!!! I've heard that the US ground soldier's favorite sound is the whine of those A-10 turbines. My father was a fighter pilot in Vietnam. He flew the F-4 and had two confirmed air kills, one MiG-21 and one MiG-19.......I am a huge military aviation fan.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Larry,

I have read on the forums about the Trout Unlimited show. but I cannot seem to find it on my cable system. What channel is it on? I would love to see a show about fishing the high-lakes of Rocky Mountain NP. I've fished for little Greenbacks dozens of times up there.

And you'll see many of my photos this summer. I got my first digital camera last summer and I love posting pics of my fishing exploits.

Josh

BTW, I love your avatar. The A-10 Warthog is my favorite combat plane.......what an awesome gun!!!!! I've heard that the US ground soldier's favorite sound is the whine of those A-10 turbines. My father was a fighter pilot in Vietnam. He flew the F-4 and had two confirmed air kills, one MiG-21 and one MiG-19.......I am a huge military aviation fan.
Josh

I don't know the channel off the top of my head and I'm at work, I will let you know tonight. I love the episodes that TU does and you would have really enjoyed the one they did on the high lakes in RMNP targeting the greenbacks.

Thanks. I really enjoyed flying the Warthog. On virtually every sortie you got to fire 100 rounds out of the gun and drop 6 simultated 500 lb bombs, with lots of low level flying inbetween. I spent 20 years in the AF, first flying the F-106 for 16 years and then the A-10 for four. My hat is off to your dad, he is a real life hero flying the F-4 in combat and getting two confirmed kills! When I graduated from pilot training the only way you could fly the F-4 out of UPT was to volunteer to fly the backseat in Vietnam for a year and then volunteer for a second year tour in Vietnam and then they would upgrade you to the front seat. I was married and didn't see that I could stay married volunteering for two years in Vietnam, so I asked for an F-106 and was lucky enough to get it, but again they wouldn't let you fly that right out of UPT so they sent me to F-102 training for 3 months first and then on to 4 months of F-106 training before my first assignment.

Larry
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Josh: I looked up TU TV and found the site and looked through the episodes for 2008, 2009 and 2010 and didn't see the RMNP episode, so now I'm not sure who shot the episode. I'll do some more digging.
Here is the TU TV site, it says they broadcast on the Sportsman Channel.
On the Rise Episodes | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Larry