The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 AM

sucram is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hello, everyone.

Just registered as a new member and are getting to know my way around this site and thought I'd better post in the introduction forum as the greeting box suggested. I'm in Oregon and are going to be reading up to improve my ability, equipment and places to land a trout.

I started fly fishing about 4 years ago and do it seldom but want to get more into it. I really don't know much about it but do love it. My equipment is dirt cheap - a combo I picked up when I first set out learn. I haven't upgraded yet but plan to do so when I figure out what is best for me. Joining this site is part of that process.

I probably won't post much as I'll be reading and absorbing what I can and don't want to ask too many idiotic questions that could be answered should I just read a bit more.

So, that being said and done - thanks in advance for reading and hopefully welcoming me.
Marcus
Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello

Welcome to the group! It sounds like you already are taking a very thoughtful and logical approach to learning the sport. We'd be happy to make some suggestions as to what gear will work well for you.

I've even fished some in Oregon. What part of the state are you in?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 PM

I'm in Tualatin... which is south of Portland about a dozen miles or so. Door to bank, the Clackamas R. is 20 minutes. This last winter I tired my luck at a few runs of steelhead but was skunked each time. I didn't feel too bad as it was a terrible time and I never did see anyone else land one either.

The Clackamas is about as large a river I plan on fishing. I love hiking small streams and dipping my line along the way. I originally picked up the sport while living in the Seattle area... I'd go up the Snoqualmie pass to exit 38 and fish the river there. Plenty of room to get some line out and being new at the time, 'crack' the fly off.

I will soon be teaching my oldest daughter (8 y.o.) to fly fish. She enjoys fishing with spinners and bobbers on her button reel but sees me landing more with flies. My wife also expressed an interest so I need to bone up on info. as I'd like to teach them right (vs. the haphazard way I've stumbled into it).

I have a s.bend rod/reel combo I picked up somewhere. It's 9', 2 piece and off the top of my head I couldn't tell you the weight. I"M guessing 5# I do remember it cost less than $30

I'm still trying to figure out this site; how to move about and find the things I'd like to read. Tag posts I'd like to return to, etc... It does take a lot of time reading as so much of it is very informative to me. It's all good.

Marcus
Old 07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If I recall correctly, you've got a fan-dam-tastic fly shop quite close to you called Kaufman's Streamborn. Its in kind of a tough to find industrial area not too far froma mall I'm told is quite ritzy. The prices and variety of stuff in there may boggle your mind, but that is easily one of the top 10 shops in the nation.

I fished the Clack as well, and my experience was about the same as yours. If you wanna try Steelheading in a nearly as convenient but much more scenic location, I'd head to the Sandy River out east of Gresham.

A 9' 5wt would do well on rivers like the Metolius and such, but if you're wanting to fish smaller streams, an 8-8.5 ft 4wt would be a better option. It works even better for you, as you can eventually get a 6 or 7wt that will make a good big trout/small steelhead/bass rod. Would work well on those feisty smallmouth down there on the John Day as well.

Don't forget to try using the search function of this site, that should help some too.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Hill Country Rods

HCR is on a distinguished road

Welcome.....
Great board here...I think your gonna like us.
Email Us Contact Us Visit Our Site
Old 07-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Kaufman's Streamborn - Great advice. As you mentioned it is very close to me; 5 minutes (and right down the street from my club). Interestingly enough, they have stores very close to where I used to live/work (Seattle/Swellevue). Previously I was going over to Oregon City and the Fisherman's there. Great store and has about everything but Kaufman's is 20 minutes closer without a chance of a traffic jam!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Welcome. Glad to have you with us.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

When I was up there I was going the almost exact opposite direction to go to a fly shop. My girlfriend at the time lived in Clackamas/Oregon City/Carver (phone number was one, mailing addy another, schools a third) and I wanted to go visit Kaufman's.

Enjoy some of those fine Oregon beers and make a trip to Gustav's for me!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Kaufman's Streamborn - went by there yesterday and it seems like a great shop... but in my opinion it is catering to the moderate to advanced fisherman. I consider myself a novice. Needless to say, I was very overwhelmed walking in. I didn't see a rod for under $250 and they went over 1k. Reels were similar. I did get me a few fly patterns and a fishing book for Wa. St.

I look forward to the day I can walk in and won't feel like a Yugo buyer walking into a Rolls Royce dealership.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Kaufman's is definitely a high end shop but you shouldn't hesitate to ask beginner questions in there. Us fly shop gear wonks (and former ones) love to tell folks all we know about this great gear we love to be surrounded by. A great question to ask goes something like "that seems pretty expensive, why would I want to spend that much on that?" If his answer is condescending or insulting, he's not one you want to work with anyway. I don't expect that to be a problem at Kaufmans, but the rule sure applies if it happens there. The guy should be able to tell you real reasons that make sense why the gear is great and priced like it is.

That being said, hearing "these $1200 waders are worth it because they will make you walk on water, dispense chilled beer, and will increase your sperm count." doesn't mean its true. I'm just saying I'm not responsible for you dropping a lot of needed cash after listening to a fly shop salesman.