The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 AM

whoknows is on a distinguished road
Default New here.

Hello all! I am a long time fisher since I was about 5-6 my grandparents had a cottage with a lake and me and my grandpa had a fishing competition I caught 30+ bluegill that day and have been hooked since.(20 years or so!) I usually just spin fish for anything have a tackle box full of large boxes that are jam packed and that was fun and the best was the past few years I was fishing with my best friend but he is off in Naha/Okinawa, Japan while serving in the Marines and last summer he came back on leave and got me hooked on fly fishing. I am from the Cleveland,Ohio area and about 20 mins from great rivers for steelhead and smallmouth. So I am not new to fishing just fly fishing I can't stop watching videos and can't wait to get out there

I purchased my first fly rod Sunday a 9' St. Croix Triumph 6wt and also ordered a few flies from Orvis and there 20 flies for 10 bucks just to start off. I am slowly piecing together the rest of my fly fishing set up to begin the year off on a new journey that is fly fishing! Someday I would love to go to Colorado ect to do some fishing but I will have to wait till I am finished with college and get some vacation time.

Love the website so far, can't wait for more to come! Thanks all!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here.

to the forum...and the great world of flyfishing
Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, Fellow Clevelander. Plenty of good folks on here, good advice and quick answers to any of your questions. Are you native to CLE area or just in town for one of the Universities?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Ok. Even though Imma Steeler fan, welcome to the site. It's by far, the best I've ever been on. You have great waters surrounding you and will be surprised to see there are those who fish the areas by you. Maybe we will hook up at Erie on day. Who knows
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

whoknows: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! Sounds like you have purchased a nice fly fishing rig, enjoy. YouTube has a bunch of videos on fly fishing, fly casting, nymph fishing, etc. Sounds like you have already discovered that, but I just wanted to throw that out in case you hadn't. Also Orvis has very nice flies, but they are pretty spendy. By doing some searching you will find some less expensive sources. Here are some I like:
Bighorn Flies
Premium Fly Fishing Flies & Fly Fishing Gear | RiverBum.com
Premium Discount Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Shop
FlyShack.com - Your Source for Quality Flies and Fly Fishing Gear

Larry

Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

and congrats on your new FF gear.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Whoknows,

Welcome to the forum. If you are going to ask questions then you might consider adding where you are located to you information. Knowing where someone lives helps to get the best answers. You can add it in your UserCP. Just a general area is fine if you don't want to list your city.

When I lived in Alaska I flew down commercial and picked up a single engine airplane in Cleveland. Exciting trip flying back to Alaska.

Frank
Old 05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Looks like you can contact Ausablebrown right in your town. His name is Jason and he seems like a great guy to know. Welcome to the forum and I hope to hear more from you. When Frank said 'add to your information' he means the display in the top right of your posts. if you check mine you'll see where I am at, it helps when someone who didn't read that you are in Cleveland sees a post from you. Enjoy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Welcome, Fellow Clevelander. Plenty of good folks on here, good advice and quick answers to any of your questions. Are you native to CLE area or just in town for one of the Universities?
Yep native Clevelander! Lived in the areas my whole life and doing local college also!

Thanks for all the info and tips guys!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Also Orvis has very nice flies, but they are pretty spendy. By doing some searching you will find some less expensive sources. Here are some I like:
Bighorn Flies
Premium Fly Fishing Flies & Fly Fishing Gear | RiverBum.com
Premium Discount Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Shop
FlyShack.com - Your Source for Quality Flies and Fly Fishing Gear

Larry

Man thanks a lot for all those sites. I spend all day looking through them! I never knew there was so many variations and types of flies!