The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM

cmo is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Oregon

Hello, my name is Chris. I live in Beaverton, Oregon. I have been fly fishing for 18 years but I still consider myself a novice to this sport since I have only been fishing about a dozen times or so with a fly rod. I moved to Oregon from Southern California 2 years ago and so far have fished 3 of the local rivers without much success.

With the addition of some classes on casting and tying, I hope to use this forum to learn some new techniques to help increase my chances of catching that big one.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Oregon

Hi Chris! to the forum.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM

flybinder is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Chris!
I started my "addiction", while living in Beaverton, also! Although, that was about 35 years ago, now and now I keep my waders wet about 90 miles due west of you as I live down on the coast, near Seaside!
Don't be too exicted about "catching that big one"! You'll have a lot more fly fishing fun, just fishing for anything that comes along, regardless of it's size.
You're also very close to one of the finest and best, Fly Shops around, too. So, frequent it often,(It's over on Scholls Ferry Rd.by Washington Square Mall), and you'll be surprised how much info and free tips you'll pick up!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
You're also very close to one of the finest and best, Fly Shops around, too. So, frequent it often,(It's over on Scholls Ferry Rd.by Washington Square Mall), and you'll be surprised how much info and free tips you'll pick up!
Thanks Flybinder. I assume you mean River City? If so, Don has been a great help to me in getting restarted in this hobby. He has also been very gracious in helping a friend of mine who is just starting out by loaning out some books and giving some great discounts. Do you ever fish the Wilson? So far that is my favorite river.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chris & Binder,

Oregon is a great place for someone who loves fly fishing to live. You guys may find useful info here and you are invited to share your own insight into fishing. Photographs are always welcome. Pictures of your rivers and landscapes would be popular on the 'Show us your photography' thread in the General Discussion forum.

Welcome to the group,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris and Flybinder: Welcome to the group and as Ard said, we would love to hear about your fishing trips in Oregon. Please read the FAQ on how to post photos to your threads as you can't post a photo directly from your computer. You first need to create a photo album, upload the photo there and then link into your thread.

Larry
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

hi chris and welcome. we probably fish the same rivers. Do you fish the tillamook area? wilson, trask?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thonyb View Post
hi chris and welcome. we probably fish the same rivers. Do you fish the tillamook area? wilson, trask?
Thanks. I have fished the Wilson about 4 times. The furthest downstream I have gone on the Wilson is "The Guide Shop" hole. I hope to make it out to the Trask sometime this year as well as the Nestucca, Nehalem and Kilchis. There are a ton of great rivers around Tillamook. Or so I have heard.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Chris, glad to have you aboard. You're in a great part of the world for fly fishing, and we have a bunch of folks out your way on the board.

Looking forward to your posts.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:16 PM

flybinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
Thanks. I have fished the Wilson about 4 times. The furthest downstream I have gone on the Wilson is "The Guide Shop" hole. I hope to make it out to the Trask sometime this year as well as the Nestucca, Nehalem and Kilchis. There are a ton of great rivers around Tillamook. Or so I have heard.
Hello, again, Chris!
Your choice of rivers to fish in the near future, is a very good one! Although, The Kilchis is a pretty tough one to get on to, due to it being nearly all "private access covered", from it's mouth, all the way up to the end of the road that runs along side it starting off Hwy#101.
Once at the end of the road, you'll come to the county park. There, pay (unless it's changed from a year ago when I fished it last time), a $3.00 "car fee" and park your rig. Walk through the park, to the river, then work your way upstream from there.
The fishing is "sparse to fair", for Searun Cutts and the very,very, odd Cutthroat you may run into.
Don't forget too, that around Seaside, north to Astoria, there are over 15 lakes to fish also once you're here on the coast!
Have fun!