The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Farmer Fred is on a distinguished road
Default New from Knoxville, TN, but headed for CO

Hi all,

My name is Fred Sahms and I live in Knoxville, TN. I haven't fished here in a while, and I am headed to Golden, CO, from October 5-9 to visit a friend who wants to try his hand at fly fishing. I need practice myself, so I signed up to the forum to gather some information on the Golden area and perhaps get some recommendations on relatively easy to fish spots.

Thanks for hosting the forum!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: New from Knoxville, TN, but headed for CO

Welcome to the group! You might be in CO around the time of the October Caddis hatch. These are huge caddis flies size 8-10 that look more like moths and drive the trout crazy. You are in for big fun if that hatch is on.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Hey Fred:

You are going to be near some very nice water up in Golden. My suggestion would be to contact one of the fly shops in Denver or Colorado Springs to get better information. As far as easy places to fish; it depends on what you are looking for. In the general area are Gold Medal Waters that contain super fish and quality fly fishing. A neophyte may not enjoy fishing very technical water as a solo first time excursion. A guide trip may be the answer to fishing these waters. It cuts down the learning curve and a knowledgeable guide can help with terminology, casting, "reading the water", entomology (fly selection) and tackle. Of course, if you consider the expense as worth it.

The shop I have been to in CO, is in Colorado Springs - Anglers Covey. They know the area well can be of further help. I can't help with shops in Denver as I haven't frequent them. My favorite water up there is the S. Platte; Spinney and Cheeseman Canyon.

Enjoy your trip.

Fish hard.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Hill Country Rods

HCR is on a distinguished road

Welcome,

Good Ol Knoxville, I was born there and they pumped all the orange blood in me. Go Vols....
Email Us Contact Us Visit Our Site