The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 AM

pastor dave is on a distinguished road
Default Hello

Hello, like my screen name says I am Dave, I am a Youth Pastor from Saskatchewan Canada. Fishing has always been something that I can do to get away, and then late last fall I discovered the wonderful world of fly fishing. That was of course just before all the water soon became good and solid. Lucky for me my church has a gym so I had the opportunity to work on my casting all winter. With this being my first full year of working on the wonderful art, I will be asking a lot of "stupid" questions, so I apologize in advance. I have been reading on this forum for a couple of months now, and decided it was time to join. I have really enjoyed what I have seen and I hope that I can soon show off some of my trophies.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum, and no need to apologize for any questions.

Dave
Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Don't worry pastor-all questions regarding fly fishing sound a bit stupid when you're starting out but they do get answered and the guys on this forum are the ones to ask-no matter how silly they may seem to you we've all asked them ourselves-and some of us still do!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

pastor dave: Welcome to the forum! As the others have stated, don't hesitate to ask questions, we were all there at one point. We have some great folks on this forum that are more than willing to help answer your questions so ask away, we will try our best to provide some guidance.

Larry

Larry
Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Dave-

Its a pleasure to meet you and I look forward see more of the fish you catch, up there in Canada you all have some great waters to fish. Ask all your questions, I've been fly fishing for 25+ years and still ask some questions that I feel I should know the answers to.

If you can fit it in you might want to consider checking to see if there are any fly fishing clubs in your area. Most have classes and clinics both on and off the water given by members and other experts in every area of fly fishing and they are usually free or much less expensive usual. The one I belong to has a mentor program that is very good and nearly all of the long time members are willing to help out new fly fishers. I know you are busy and already attend a lot of meetings, but most clubs only meet 1 a month for a general meeting plus you might decide to attend the occassional class. I know for me its nice to occasssionally spend time with others who are like minded about something other than my job or those I see all the time.

Tom
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 06-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dave....going to tell you a funny thing in french the word "pêcheur" means both fisherman and sinner...I think a pastor had to learn that
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Dave, glad you found us--- i hope you'll be getting a youth fly fishing and program going-- maybe even a tying program for your long winters.

Keep asking questions-- we have a lot of helpful folks here that are happy to help get you going.

And Jean-Paul, in that case, I think "pêcheur" describes most of here perfectly.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're a dry-fly fisherman
Quote:
"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
— Norman Maclean (A River Runs Through It and Other Stories)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

pastor dave

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures