The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM

GuyFromLaw will become famous soon enoughGuyFromLaw will become famous soon enough
Default Och Aye !!

Greetings from Scotland. My name is John and I fish for Atlantic salmon, brown and sea trout. I tie my own flies and would be delighted to share my efforts in your fly tying section from time to time, if that is welcome?

I'm no tackle tart, and I usually buy quality used gear on the fora rather than buying new. I aim to collect a rod for each specific purpose in fly fishing. The more I fish, the more apparent it becomes that I 'require' new gear for another fly fishing niche, and so the collection grows.

I purchase fly tying materials regularly from American traders on ebay so will be keeping a beady eye on what your traders have to offer as well.

I seen the link for this site through some of your members posting on FFF UK, and thought I'd come and have a good nosey at what you guys (and gals) are up to over the Pond.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Och Aye !!

John: Welcome to the forum, we're glad you stopped in and said Hi! You would be more than welcome to post some of your flies, we would love to see what you fish with in Scotland and hear about your fishing exploits!

Larry

Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM

GuyFromLaw will become famous soon enoughGuyFromLaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
John: Welcome to the forum, we're glad you stopped in and said Hi! You would be more than welcome to post some of your flies, we would love to see what you fish with in Scotland and hear about your fishing exploits!

Larry
Cheers Larry, a very warm welcome.

We've been desperately awaiting some rain on the river Clyde (spate river) for weeks now. I fish the upper Clyde salmon fishery (there are two, Mid Clyde and United Clyde), and given water and ambient temps (badly designed fish ladder to negotiate) we can see fresh salmon from late May right through the year. So far there has only been one run of m/s/w fish, but the grilse and summer salmon should start appearing on the next flood.

And guess what? It's been raining here monsoon style all evening.

I'll post some pics of the river sometime this week after the spate settles and we get the chance to cast a fly, and send those pesky metal chuckers home.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello John,

You'll find a good bunch here and your flies and fishing stories will be taken on every cast. We have a good many story tellers here who will write at length on their fishing reports and I hope you'll find your way to them all.

I'm the sort that can't seem to warm to 'New Tackle' so I too keep a bunch of vintage gear about the house. Guess you know how I feel about my reels eh.................... I hope your fish come through in great numbers

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks Ard, I'll keep abreast through the New Posts function, and when I get quieter moments I'll start sneaking through the archives. In the meantime I'll have a look for your other rivers/countries? threads, and I'll post you all fishing reports from over here.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Scotsmanfrom across the Channel.you should make a lot a friends here soon....there are many scotch fans
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will enjoy it, and I can't wait to see what flies you have been tying.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Welcome John. It's nice to have another perspective from across the pond. Look forward to seeing some of your ties.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

John! I look forward to seeing your flies, hopefully pictures of caught fish too and reading what you have to share. Around here we just can't ever get enough of that stuff.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Cheers fellas, I have just been relocated to a temporary tying station at the kitchen table (due to redecorating bedroom), so everything is a little here and there. I'll post a couple of pics tonight. Thanks for all your welcomes.