The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 02:39 PM

Dru Lee Parsec is on a distinguished road
Default Hello Folks, Another Christmas Newbie says Hi

Hi Folks:

My name is Greg Brouelette and I live in the foothills of the Sierra mountains between the north fork of the American River and the Bear river. I'm a "Retired" computer programmer. Now, when I say "Retired" I don't mean that I'm one of those lucky dot com millionaires, far from it A friend of mine once told me that "retirement just means you get to do what YOU want for a living". I ran away from the high stress and low emotional reward business of software and now I teach guitar, mandolin and banjo lessons in the afternoon while I build guitars, mandolins and mountain dulcimers during the day. So here I am in my late 40's trying to start a brand new life.

My wife and I cashed out of our overpriced San Diego home last year and bought a little house on an acre and a half just up the hill from Auburn California. We're about half way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. My wife use to love to fish and I use to fish a lot with my grandfather. But living in San Diego wasn't conducive to river fishing.

So my wife and I are walking along the Bear river watching the water flow over the gravel and we got to talking about how I bet this is a big fly fishing area. She even mentioned that she'd like to get started. Well being the dummy that I am I didn't go right out and buy us some gear and get us started. I guess I messed her hint.

So yesterday on Christmas I find that my gifts were a rod and reel (A Martin Caddis Creek set), some fly line, some wet and dry flys and several books on the subject. Cool, I guess I just needed a push to get into a sport that I wanted to do anyway.

There's a local fly fishing store that has group trips for beginning fly fishermen. I'm going to have to go get set up with one of those trips.

This morning I was practicing casting and it's really relaxing. When it's wrong you sure know it. But when it all goes right you can really feel it. It's like your body and brain say "Oh! So THAT'S what it feels like when it's right" Now I have to work on getting that timing right every time.

Well, that's a bit about me. I hope it won't be too long before I can relate a story of my first trip to the river. Take care folks and happy holidays to all of you.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Folks, Another Christmas Newbie says Hi

Welcome aboard Dru to you and the little woman (which by the way, we do have a women section on this board and I would love to hear, Her side of the story LOL)Feel free to jump in anytime, with suggestions or questions. For casting hints there Is Doug MacNair who has a book or two out there, plus several others on here that teach (self included).
Old 12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the sport and the board! Just checked a map and it sounds like your in a great spot to enjoy fly fishing. Sounds like your arm is already helping you learn to cast well. www.thefullcreel.com will be a great source for all your equipment needs, and the shop owner even teaches a fly fishing course at a large junior college.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 PM

Dru Lee Parsec is on a distinguished road

I found this shop http://www.sierraflyfishers.com/ which is only about 10 miles from my house. They have fishing reports on their website that talk about the American River, the Yuba River and the Feather River, but not the Bear River. I couldn't find anything online about fish being in the Bear River. I'll have to go into town and ask them about that.

In any case, the Bear river is only 2 1/2 miles from my house. We've had some rain so the water level has come up a bit, but I took this picture about a month ago when it was at it's lowest.

Click the image to open in full size.

So that's the closest to where I live but I have no idea if there are fish in there. It's about 3 miles downstream from a dam and I'm not sure what's below us.

I've been practicing my cast and I can get a fairly consistent cast of about 30 feet (sometimes more) with my rod. But I have a level line and I think that's making it harder. If I put a WF-6-F on my rod I think I will be able to cast it easier.

Also, last night I was talking to my wife I said, "Now, I want to make sure I understand this correctly. You want to go fly fishing too. Right?" And she said "Oh yeah, Absolutely!" So I will have support in this new addiction from "The Boss"
Old 12-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Going with a WFF line instead of a level line should help make presentations more controlled, and also with shooting line on the end of a cast, but it is not likely to have a big effect on the distance of your casting(except for the shot at the end. While you may have read suggestions otherwise, I HIGHLY recommend you use the weight of line your rod was intended for. A heavier line will put more bend in your rod, but this will eventually limit the distance you can cast. Get a good line (MSRP $30+) in the line size indicated on the rod, and you can use it on another rod, should you decide to upgrade.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

As Cliff said, it is always a good idea to go with the rod weight for lines, but on the older rods, a lot were ex: 3/4, 5/6, and so on. I know several that will go one higher to slow a fast rod down, one lighter to stiffen a full flex. I say go with the line recommended and learn from there.I love WF line, I have never tried a level line so I cannot compare, but WF is the recommended starting taper. I also, use a Double Taper and a Triangle Taper, but, the weight forward is my go to, plus any kind of situation line.I am looking forward to hearing how you two are progressing.