The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greeting from Central Wisconsin

I joined back in February but never introduced myself. I have posted a few times already and I guess I broke protocol by not introducing myself. I never noticed this section until today....... sorry.

Anyhow, I've fished since childhood and began flyfishing in the 1970's. I took a Fenwick Fly Fishing Class and Gary Borger was the instructor. Later I learned that he lived a few miles from me and our families became friends.

I have some land in Montana on a spring creek and I get out there to fish it and the Madison River just about every year. I usually stay with another friend, Jim Greenlee, who has a place on the Madison. Jim owned Weinbrenner and Jim and Gary came up with the Gary Borger wading boot year ago. Jim has since sold the company and moved to his place on the Madison. Jim passed away last year.

I was a founding member of our TU chapter back in the early 1980's and I write articles for our local newsletter and for Wisconsin Trout, our state TU paper.

I am still learning about fly fishing and hope to participate when I can.

Here are a few photos:

Jim Greenlee, Bill Jones, and me. Bill and I own adjacent properties on the spring creek.

Click the image to open in full size.

Another view of the spring creek.

Gene fishes the creek, near Bill's property.

Jim's place on the Madison

Gary Borger and my favorite local stream is a mixture of tight cover and open deep pools.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Greeting from Central Wisconsin

Hello silver creek
Very nice photos and scenery
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

Hi Silver Creek,

I have relatives in the Appleton area.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Welcome aboard Silver,
Seems like you are living in a fishing heaven. I have also exchanged emails with Gary and what a wonderful person he is. I never learned fishing from him but watched his trout series video off you tube and learned so much. I also love his another blogging site called Jacob's well. Happy fishing.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great looking pics silver, and welcome!

casey

ARFE
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

great pics...welcome
Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I joined back in February but never introduced myself. I have posted a few times already and I guess I broke protocol by not introducing myself. I never noticed this section until today....... sorry.
You'll have to go back and start over.......... just kidding. Nice photos.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The history of settlement of Wisconsin is based on lumber. Huge forests of eastern white pine were logged in the winter and floated down even the smallest rivers during the spring flood. I have seen photos of trees such as these in the county historical society and they look as big as redwoods.

"Eastern white pine. - A white pine near the Plover River, in the Hatley area of Marathon County, was reported to have a circumference of 19’ 6”, and a height of nearly 200 feet.
** ref.:* S. A. Sherman, pioneer lumberman, 1884.* (courtesy of Paul Yost, 2/16/2004)

Eastern white pine. - A white pine to be cut on the land of Mr. Wadleigh, near Hatley, Marathon County, was said to be the largest in Wisconsin.* It was 27 feet in circumference."

Great Eastern Trees, Past and Present

The Prairie River to my north is also a logging river. It holds the Wisconsin State Record Brook Trout Record at 9 lbs, 15 oz. Now that is a trout!

I previously posted photos of the Plover River. I haven't found any residual logs there from the great trees; but on the Prairie river, I have found old log dams at the site of previous lumber mills. Some of the logs sunk in the old mill ponds and have remained for decades, probably close to a hundred years. Some logs have weathered but were so huge they still are quite large. Here are photos of just such a place.

Old beached weathered white pine log. My fly rod for scale.

Old dam site with beached logs

Submerged and preserved logs.

Low water.

Some native brookies. Not 9 or even 1 pounders but the same strain as the state record.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Welcome fellow Wisconsinites

You guys live in a beautiful area. I live up near Green Bay.