The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM

mikenewpal is on a distinguished road
Default Hi to All

Just an introduction here, my name is Mike, and I am completly a "newbie greenhorn" at flyfishing. Just started. Need all the help I can get...LOL Heading to Northern Manitoba in June and folks tell me I need to catch some big Pike on a fly! I would like to do that! Hope to make some friends and learn a lot.

Look to talk to you guys and gals soon.

Best Regards,

Mike
Old 02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hi to All

Welcome to the group! Hope you return from the pike trip with all your fingers.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi to All

Hi there Mike. You picked a great forum. Everyone is down to earth hear, and we LOVE hearing success stories!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM

mikenewpal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thank you for the Welcome

Thank you Joni and Cliff for the welcome! By the way Cliff, great avatar...LOL
Joni, how in the world could you be jealous? I saw your pics! WOW, way cool! And a lady that fishes too...my heart be still! Every guys dream come true! LOL Serious, those pics were fantastic, and it is obvious you know what your doing with a fly rod in hand. Awesome! Looks as if you have been to your fair share of "jealous" places that would be on my list too!

This year will be my third trip in three years to Manitoba, went to Ontario before that. Have done real well up there got some nice pike up there last year. Just thought I would add a new twist with fly fishing this year.. And I am sure there will be a lot of twisting with me trying to unravel myself from my flyline! I tried to find a rod and reel set-up that included a first aid kit, but it seems they don't make those Hmmmm.

It's a wonder I had not gotten into this earlier, as a few years back I was in Colorado Elk hunting, and it just so happened there was a small stream behind my tent-cabin. Since my friend urged me to bring a small spinning set-up, as there was supposed to be lots of big Rainbows in this stream - (yea, right I told him, as I have heard those stories before!) Well I tied on a white Rooster Tail spinner on an ultalight rod with 6 lb test, and I will tell you I was ready to stop hunting, and move to Colorado after about 10 minutes! I caught some of the most beautiful fish I had ever seen! And lots of them in the 2 - 2 1/2 lb range! (released unharmed of course) You could see those fish coming out from behind the rocks and just slamming that spinner! It was a thrill of a lifetime.

I guess my first thought would be this...I bought my first fly reel, just a starter reel (Scientific Anglers Concept 79 LA graphite) about $50. It is a large arbor reel, and will accomodate 7, 8, and 9 wt. lines, since I will also use it for Bass around here where I live, in addition to the Pike I am after up north. I was going to get two different rods to start and an additional reel
( better quality) down the road. A 9'-9 wt. rod for the Pike and a 8' 1/2" 7 wt. rod for the Bass. I purchased Scientific Anglers Dacron backing@250 yds and Scientific Anglers Air Cel Fly Line @ 7wt floating (82') to start. How much backing do I spool up on this reel before attaching to the fly line? The reel will hold the 250 yds of backing and the fly line with no problem, but good grief I don't think I need to waste that much backing? Also, is the 82' length of actual fly line the standard? Are fly casts relatively short in comparison to other types of fishing? Yes, I am a newbie!

Thanks guys! And Gals!

Mike

See ya!

Mike