The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM

BIGRED is on a distinguished road
Default Cherry

IM NEW TO THE GAME, I BOUGHT A PRICEY ROD AND REEL WITH GRAND EXPECTIATIONS BUT REALIZE I WILL END UP TANGLED I THE TREES. BUT I KNOW BEING WITH MY FRIENDS AND NATURE, IT DOESNT MATTER
Old 03-01-2007, 07:11 PM

mikenewpal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cherry

Hi Big Red!

I am a newb too! I have been hearing voices from outside the house, and after what you said in your post, I think the trees are calling my name too! You are really short, looking at your avatar...Can you buy waders that small? LOLOL

I personally am glad you are here, 'cause now I will not be the only one that will ask a bunch of questions. Already wore out two admins and one member by myself I think

Anyway, good to have you here too.

Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! The best way to stay out of the trees is to learn one of our coolest little tricks called the "roll cast" You'll find yourself using it all the time.

Mikenewpal, yer gonna have to work harder than that to wear this member out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks Cliff, I really appreciate your patience, and willingness to help me, I am sure I will have a whole lotta more questions as I get going...

By the way Cliff ,how did you get started in fly fishing and where are you from? What types of fish are you after around there where you live? I am really looking forward to trying my hand at the Smallmouth in the small rivers and streams around here. I found a full service fly shop close as well that offers a 3 course instruction school on flyfishing for around $100! The instruction of course includes basics, casting instruction - in class and on the water, and actual fishing instruction on the water. I did not really think that was bad at all? In addition they offer fly rod building classes and fly tying workshops...there is help for the newb after all!

Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

I haven't tried the smallmouth yet on the fly rod yet but plan too in the future. I got started fly fishing about two years ago and been hooked ever sense. I am into building my rods now and have two I'm building now. These guys here are great and a world of help when getting started.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:57 PM

Hey Outdoorarki!

Nice to meet you. you folks really have some good fishing and hunting in your neck of the woods that's for sure! I have a friend that has a lot of relation around Evening Shade, (Strawberry River) he tells me it is just the cleanest, most beautiful river he has seen, and lots of fish too. Would like to go there myself as well as some other places there to fish. However, the other thing he tells me, is that it is the most "sweltering" hot place on Earth to! LOL

We have a lot of Smallies here, in the small rivers and creeks, and I can't wait to go after some of them with the flyrod. I look forward to tying my own flies as well. It is pretty cool you are building your own rods, that will be very rewarding in itself.

Mike
Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 AM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

Welcome to all of you. I am fairly new here myself. This is a great forum to be on. Stick around and learn....
Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I grew up in Irving, TX, fishing local ponds, water hazards, and other spots on campouts and such. I went to college in San Antonio and caught the fly fishing bug while down there. A friend of a friend named Andrew Oliver taught me how to cast and gave me some flies, and invited me to go down to the coast and try for a redfish on a fly. I had never wade fished in salt water before.

We left SA about 2:30 AM and got down to Mustang Island shortly before sunrise on a cool October morning. I can still remember wading in the cool water, and making sure I remembered to shuffle my feet to scare off the stingrays. We got over to a shallower section were some mangroves or a similar plant formed a maze of narrow channels that poured the tidal flow onto the flat, and drained it later.

I heard a small commotion off to my left and looked over to find a swirl where I thought the noise had been made. It looked to me like it could be a redfish, so I cast my Clouser over to it. I think it took a few casts before my hook served its purpose, but then the chase was on. This fish used the vegetation-maze to its advantage and had me running, splashing, and hollering all over the place. It took me a few minutes to land the thing, but that 19" redfish colored like a brand new penny hooked me on this sport forever.

I learned how to cast with an 8wt first, then lighter rods later. My 9' Sage 4wt has fished most of the rivers of the TX Hill Country, along with rivers in neighboring states. I can confidently consult on catching fish most anywhere in Texas or on its coast, along with trout in the lower 48. Smallmouth bass are loads of fun, and Clouser minnows are a great way to catch them. As another benefit, Clouser's are cheap and easy to tie, and can easily be customized to imitate lots of different baitfish.

BTW, the $100 course sounds like a good investment, especially if they can show you multiple places in the area and how to catch the fish that are there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.