The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM

naturelover is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from sunny California

Hello all,
I'm new to fly fishing, and am learning with/from my Dad who has become a fly fishing fanatic recently

We've had some great fun fishing in Northern California, and I'm excited to get myself set up with an outfit of my own so I can practice and get to know my own rod, and figure out how to choose flies on my own rather than always borrowing from my Dad.

Possibly relevant info:
I'm in the Sac area, and love to fish creeks for trout mostly, rarely I'll do some lake fishing.

Seems like I'm looking for a ~9ft 5wt rod to get myself started. I'm hoping to get a decent set up for <$200 for rod/reel/line/leader etc.

I'm willing to put one together myself buying things individually, but I'm unsure of how to choose the individual parts such that they will all be decent quality for the price and that they would all match/work together well.

I'm a girl of slight build, not sure if that factors in much, but if you have recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

I've heard good things about some of the Cabela's outfits, especially the TFO ones, and also some from Reddington seem to be well thought of. My Dad loves his G. Loomis, but I don't think I'll find one of those in my price range...

I appreciate any advice you can give me! I'm looking forward to sharing my success with the forum as I figure out this wonderful sport!

Thanks so much!
~Emily
Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Greetings from sunny California

Welcome Emily! Always good to see a fellow newbie I'm not too experienced in the gear category (or any category for that matter) yet, but there are plenty of helpful people on here that really know their stuff and I'm sure they'll weigh in soon!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to fly fishing, and am learning with/from my Dad who has become a fly fishing fanatic recently
Hi Emily,
Welcome to the forum and the sport.

Quote:
We've had some great fun fishing in Northern California, and I'm excited to get myself set up with an outfit of my own so I can practice and get to know my own rod, and figure out how to choose flies on my own rather than always borrowing from my Dad.
Good idea.

Quote:
Possibly relevant info:
I'm in the Sac area, and love to fish creeks for trout mostly, rarely I'll do some lake fishing.
You have three really good independent shops and an Orvis in the Sacramento area.
American Fly Fishing Company - Watt and Fair Oaks
Kiene's Fly Shop - Marconi and Fulton
Fly Fishing Specialties - on Tupelo Drive near Tupelo and Antelope

There is an Orvis store in the Fountains Shopping Center in Roseville.

The advantage of the local shops is that you can get solid information on what will work for you in your area. The relationship that you will form will be priceless.

Quote:
Seems like I'm looking for a ~9ft 5wt rod to get myself started. I'm hoping to get a decent set up for <$200 for rod/reel/line/leader etc.

I'm willing to put one together myself buying things individually, but I'm unsure of how to choose the individual parts such that they will all be decent quality for the price and that they would all match/work together well.
A 9 foot 5 weight is a good all around rig for Northern California. It will cover all the different waters that are around like the Lower Yuba and its upper forks, Truckee, Little Truckee, East and West Carsons, the forks of the American.

Quote:
I'm a girl of slight build, not sure if that factors in much, but if you have recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

I've heard good things about some of the Cabela's outfits, especially the TFO ones, and also some from Reddington seem to be well thought of. My Dad loves his G. Loomis, but I don't think I'll find one of those in my price range...
Your build should not factor in much to your choice. As for brands, TFO and Redington make great products for their price points.

Dennis
Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Emily: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!
do yourself a big favor (you won't regret it), send a PM to Dennis and find out which fly shop he works at and then make a bee line over there and pick his brain on gear! He won't toot his own horn but he is probably the most knowledgeable sources on fly fishing gear that you will ever run into. While you are there ask him about local fishing conditions, flies to use and good places to fish in the Sac area.

Larry

Larry
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM

naturelover is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for all the good info!

I will go PM Dennis. I had seen his name mentioned in a couple other threads, how lucky am I that he's in this area!?

Thanks so much!
Happy fishing!
~Emily
Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

You are VERY lucky to have him nearby as a resource, Emily, and I hope to hear many tales of your fly fishing adventures!
Gary
Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Welcome Emily-nice to have another young lady join the ranks and hope you'll love fly fishing as much as I do. From a fellow american living in england.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Welcome Emily
On my way to the Lake Tahoe from SF a couple of years ago, I saw a nice stretch of steams from Sacramento to Tahoe. You are lucky to live there. Enjoy the sport. I would like to see your pics with trout.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Emily.Great to have a new girl on the forumthink you'll easily find all you need with the help of Dennis