The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM

nme is on a distinguished road
Default hello from WV

Hey folks, I'm new to this board (just found it) though I've posted to others for awhile. I'm a lifelong fly fisherman, mostly for trout and the occasional smallmouth trip. I fish West Virginia and western Maryland, and used to fish SW Virginia a lot. Been out west (Montana) a couple times and would love to go back if the cards fall right. Haven't been able to fish as much in the last couple years as I used to, but made it out several times this summer and fall. My new favorite pursuit: catching channel cats on the fly out of farm ponds. They put a bend in a five-weight! I've landed three so far (biggest was 22"), lost a couple more.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello from WV

nme....what do these three letters mean?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Welcome, also checkout WVAngler.com - Fly Fishing WV if you already haven't.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Welcome. They only recently began stocking catfish in stillwaters here in england and it would certainly be interesting if anyone went after them with a fly, but whether the fisheries that have them would allow it is debatable though I'd love to try it
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to have you posting with the group here, being a former channel cat aficionado I know about the bend of the rod they produce. I've caught them in currents and had them run like a salmon, very exciting fish the channel cat.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Nme, welcoem to the forum-- catching channel cats on a fly sounds like a blast.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nme: Welcome to the forum and as Mark stated catching channel cats must be some great fun. You might post a thread on how you do it, I'm sure there are a bunch of us that would be interested in learning how to catch one on a fly rod.

Larry

Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! I also fish Western Maryland (mostly lower Savage River) as well as the North Branch. Looking forward to your post and pics!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)