The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 06:05 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default hi, i just stumbled across this site...

...and wanted to introduce myself. eric, eric zamora. i hope everybody's doing well.

i flyfish. started in high school back in the early 80s, then stopped after a year or so. discovered girls and such.

i took it up again about 3-4 years ago. took lessons this time and bought a better rod and reel than what i had way back when. realizing i could never afford all of the nice rods out there, i started wrapping my own from little-known manfacturers.

i fish mainly streams and medium sized rivers in the central sierra of california for trout although i JUST finished wrapping a 9' 7wt for my first bass trip to a pay to fish pond this weekend. i hope to try for river smallmouth this year too.

that's about it for now.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: hi, i just stumbled across this site...

Hi eric,

Welcome to the forum. I was born and raised in Fresno so we have probably fished some of the same waters. Looking forward to your posts. Are you fishing Smallmouth on the Kings?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:28 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

hello frank,

smallmouth on the kings? i'm sure they're there, but for my first foray, i was considering the merced downstream of el portal a bit. at least i have buddies who have caught them there. i've never heard of anyone, fly, targeting smallies on the kings. i have a buddy and he tells me he and others USED to target them long ago, but that was on the lower kings when it was a completely different fishery than it is today. seems like the upper should have a population too but i've never heard of anyone fishing for them there. what area have you fished anf found them, may i ask...

i'm off on a trip to that private bass lake tomorrow morning, first time bassin'. sunny today, sunny sunday, wind and rain forecast for tomorrow. just my luck. i read up to 22mph winds predicted late afternoon. not fun in a float tube...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

Welcome, this is a great and friendly forum to be part of!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi erick,

There is a smallmouth fishery above Pine Flat lake. It was being controlled by the Fish and Game to enhance the fishery a few years ago. Go to Kirch Flat Camp Ground above the lake. I have caught Smallmouth right at the camp ground and upriver towards the bridge that crosses the river. I think you best bet is to drive over the bridge and turn right along the river. There is a parking area there where they take out boats floating the river. Fish the long flat between the bridge and Kirch Flat Camp Ground. It has been a few years since I fished there. There is also trout in the river from the camp ground up to where Dinky Creek comes into the Kings. The best trout fishing is the tail water below the dam.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 PM

thanks frank, i'll have to check it out. from what i read, the rocky edges of the river would be good areas to target, no? i caught my first wild trout at kirch flat a few years ago. that entire area from the lake, upstream, is managed as a wild trout area.

ive fished the lower kings area a few times over the past couple of months. DFG started a unique stocking program where very large trout have been planted for the past two winters. still, it's not the same as years ago according to those around here who have fished the lower kings all their lives. water flows due to ag, and reduced insect life to sustain everything well.

thanks again for the tips.

eric
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Sounds like you're already having fun and creating great fishing tools.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 AM

thanks bigcliff. ahhhh yes, fishing tools. NEXT, i start wrapping my 7'-2" bamboo blank based on the PHY driggs river taper. and THEN, i start my true love when it comes to fishing, dry flies on the small sierra streams above 7,000...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Hi Eric,

Some of my best memories comes from fishing the high Sierra's in your area. What area or streams do you fish?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 PM

which streams?????? oh i don't know frank...... ;-) let's just say anywhere and everywhere between yosemite's lyell canyon and the golden trout wilderness. generally west slope streams in national parks and forests including kings canyon and sequoia. most might even be considered roadside stops, where the stream crosses beneath the road, but if you walk up or downstream a few minutes you're the only one around except for the occasional deer you might surprise and the wind in the trees... or a bear.

funny how a rivulet one sees from the winding road traveling by at 45mph can lead you to think, "Wow, no WAY trout are in THERE" and yet, once you stop and get out and walk to the water you find that 1-2 foot wide trickle is 3 feet deep. brookies, rainbows, browns, golden hybrids. Ahhhhh. all self-sustaining, not having been planted in 40-50 years. and other places it's a nice walk from the car though the forest, along a little trail through a lush meadow with trout finning gently in the current.

there's also the merced, the tule and its forks and those various meanderings of the kaweah. and the also, i have bigger waters to explore like the mighty kings up in cedar grove or the tuolumne in the yosemite high country.

i was born in this area and not until just a few years ago did i decide to startup flyfishing again and combine it with a need to explore my "backyard" sierra. last summer, for work nonetheless, i did 75 miles of the john muir trail from agnew meadows to florence lake. unfortunately we were on somebody else's schedule so i frustratingly passed so much beautiful water but i did get a chance to try out my newly finished 8' 3wt 6 piece rod a few times.

eric
fresno, ca.