The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM

jayraider is on a distinguished road
Default hey hey hey

Hey everyone, i am located in Lubbock, Texas and very new to fly fishing. I would love to gain any information on nearby lakes in Lubbock to fish. I also go to the Cimarron river every year, but like i said i have not done much fly fishing. I would appreciate any information on Northern New Mexico rivers and the flies that are hot. I would also love to learn how to tie my own flies, so any insight there would be very helpful!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: hey hey hey

Welcome to the group! Steve Robbins will be your best authority on fishing in N NM. What specific questions do you have about tying?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Default fly tying

I guess the only real question about tying is where i should start. How can i contact Steve Robbins because i would definately be willing to hear any information about the Cimarron and the Rio Pueblo!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hey jayraider,
You can contact Steve Robbins via private message using his user name The Full Creel. He is a great resource for the area that you are in. He also has two other web sites that may be useful to you as well: San Juan River Forum and Aztec Anglers.

As far as fly tying... Well, its a just a different facet of fly fishing. I've learned a lot by just watching others tie and reading books. It may be different with you. You may need to take a course at the college or start tying with friends. After you learn the basics you can pretty much disect a fly pattern that you see and be able to tie it. BigCliff I'm sure can suggestion a good book to start with. Here is a link to the fly patterns that can be used on the San Juan and any other river you can think of: Fly Patterns.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Instead of a book, I taught myself to tie using the instruction on Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. I taught myself in college, leaving my computer set up where i could just look beyond the vise at the instruction. I haven't seen a book that i think would work as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Hey Jayraider,

There is a fly fishing club in Amarillo that has (or had) fly tying programs. The name of the club is Golden Spread Fly Fishers. The president is Rod Brashears and they have meeting at the library in downtown. Sorry, I couldn't find any contact phone numbers. I have meet several of them in the past and they are a good bunch of guys. Maybe they know someone down your way. There is also a Gart Bros. in Amarillo that can give you information on Golden Spread.

The Cimarron is a favorite of mine. Also, there are quite a few rivers within your reach. The Sangre de Cristos have some superb angling depending on what you are looking for. Cutthroats, Rio Costilla; off season angling, Rio Grande Gorge; Solitude, Los Pinos; backcountry, Santa Barbara; and the list can go on. As far as flies goes - pretty much the standard fare with one exception, size, and where you will be going to fish.

If you cross the border into Colorado, Conejos, Culebra, La Jara, Rio Grande. You can spend a lot of time exploring rivers and streams and not fish all. Hope this helps a bit. See you on the stream.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Default many thanks

Thank you all so much for your helpful hints and for helping me find a network within my area so i can begin fly fishing more and more. I appreciate all the stream information and am feeling more confident now that i will become great at fly fishing. I have been an avid fisherman my whole life, but fly fishing has really challenged me like i have never been challenged before. Please feel free to post any more info that you might think is helpful, especially if you know of any good flies to use for bass, crappie, and sun fish!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:02 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: many thanks

Hi Jayraider,

Another excellent source of info about NM is a book called "Flyfisher's Guide to New Mexico", written by Van Meacham.

Phil