The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Clearwater, Fl here

Just dropping a line from Clearwater. Found the forum just the other day and figured I'd jump aboard. I was actually doing a search for a speceific chest pack and found one for sale here. I read on a little and liked what I saw. I do about 99% of my fishing here with an 8wt. all inshore in the greater Tampa Bay area. Snook, redfish, and trout mostly along with the occasional trip chasing summer Tarpon outback of the house (Dunedin/Clearwater beaches) with buddies in their skiffs. I fish about five days/nights a week and fly fishing/tying is pretty much all I do when I'm not at home with our beautiful 1 year-old baby girl. I managed a fly shop here in Tampa for a while before they shut down last January and miss the heck out of it. I definately do my best to keep in touch with all the old "shop rats" as we have a very unique, for lack of a better word, bunch of people in the fly scene down here. It's not huge but the guys that are into it are freakin' nuts! Good stuff. Anyway, I'm not big on talking about myself and hope I didn't seem like I was bragging. Just wanted to throw a little information your way.

Later,
Brad
Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clearwater, Fl here

Welcome Brad! Great introduction, and congratulations, albeit a bit late, on the new kid! While I live in Buffalo, NY most the year due to school, I am a Florida native and my parents still live in Sarasota. I'll be down there in December for sure and will be chasing tarpon in the spring/summer as well when I get the chance before I leave for Sweden. I'm a PhD student in archaeology so I spend my summers doing fieldwork in Northern Europe, particularly Scandinavia. There are some great people here on the forum, and I look forward to seeing your contributions! All photos and stories are welcome, and hopefully we can get out fishing some time! I can offer a place to crash if you want to come chase some steelhead in WNY this fall/winter

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Brad: Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to hearing about your fishing adventures! Things here in WY are slowing down with winter just around the corner, in fact it is snowing outside (I'm not looking forward to the cold).

Larry

Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Welcome Brad, I will be in your area getting hitched Dec 16-23rd and am looking forward to hitting the water. Any ideas?

Congrats on the 1 yr old.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Cochise, check out Rick Grassett in Sarasota. He's an Orvis-sanctioned fly fishing guide and from everything I've heard he's a great guide. If you're not looking to get out with a guide, I might be able to point you toward some water, but Brad will certainly know the Clearwater area better than I do, my area is further south.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Very cool! Thanks for the replies. Rick Grassett is definately a bad ass guide if you are in or close to that area. There are a bunch of really good fly guides in the state. Cochise, where are you going to be staying? Our wintertime redfishing can be pretty fun and insanely challenging in the upper bay area on fly. Sight casting is amazing since the water becomes gin clear with the cool weather. Trout are aggressive as hell with the cool weather and will usually be found in some deeper pockets on the edges of grass. Reds school up and are fairly easy to see once you find them but can behave like permit most of the time. They will see you as soon as you are just out of casting range most of the time and will really test your patience. I can tell you a couple spots to wade but getting on a boat is the way to do it.
mcnerney, snow already? damn. I was actually just talking to my Dad whi lives Frisco, Co and they had some last week. Crazy early it seems. We just finally cooled down here. Been nice man and the fish are getting excited.
Gator, I would kill to get some steelhead man. I have a couple of buddies that used to be pretty big into it and they sound insane. From the sound of it, I know I'd be hooked.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

I have a couple of favorite guides that fish that area and the upper bay area. Let me know and I can throw a name or two your way when you're ready.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Brad: Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to hearing about your fishing adventures! Things here in WY are slowing down with winter just around the corner, in fact it is snowing outside (I'm not looking forward to the cold).

Larry
Can you guys fish the winter out there at all?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Spug welcome to the forum-- sounds like you'll fit right in here-- make yourself at home.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

welcome, i believe we are in relatively the same area im in coral springs
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Welcome Brad from an american from the other side of the Atlantic. Glad you,re as much a fly fishing fanatic as I am, but I haven,t managed to have a go at the salt water scene yet as I live a fair way from the sea, but you never know...And strangely enough Florida is one of only eight states I,ve never set foot in even though I have a second cousin in Tallahassee that keeps inviting me for a visit.
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Grassonfly, How was the snook fishing this summer? It was alright up here. Way better than the last few years.

Flytier, get in the salt, you'll love it!