The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM

abespop is on a distinguished road
Default Hola from California

Fellow fly fishers, I'am new to this wonderful sport of fly fishing. I have primarily bait fished (spin & baitcast) for a number of years and now have taken up flying only. Local waters include Stanislaus and Tuolumne. I am looking forward to learning and sharing in this great forum.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hola from California

Welcome to the forum Pop,

I'm so happy to see that you find the place to be great! I believe this is the best general fly fishing forum on the web and the membership includes the nicest bunch of people you're gonna find. Ask any questions you may have and one or more of our members will square you away with their own best way to get things done.

Good to have you here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

welcome abes pop are you looking to do salwater or coldwater fishing?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 PM

grassonfly,
Thank you .Freshwater but who knows what the future holds. I'am open to it all.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Abespop. I got back into fly fishing on the Stanislaus back in the 90s. From the lower river just east of Oakdale to the forks up in the mountains, you have some wonderful water to fish. I have never tried it, but the lower river is supposed to get a run of Striped Bass. Have you ever tried that?

Dennis
Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Hi Dennis , Thank you and yes I'am very fortunate to have these awesome fisheries so close. I have fished the lower Stan. below Goodwin and also at Two Mile Bar which is just a bit further down and was targeting trout. I have not fished for Stripers ,but have heard they along with Steelies make it up that far. I dont know of anyone that has caught either of the species but maybe someone has?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Modesto, I would fish at Knight's Ferry after work for resident Rainbow Trout. A caddis hatch would happen like clockwork. The park rangers had to kick me out because they were ready to lock the gates.

There are some Steelhead runs in the Stan. I think that the big run (what's left of it) happens when the river is closed to fishing in November and December. Bob Nakagawa at Sierra Anglers in Modesto is a good source. He could probably give you more detail.

Dennis
Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 PM

Thats awesome. Isn't it amazing what fishing does to us. I love it! Bob's name keeps on coming up. I will have to make a drive over their and see him.

Thanks Dennis,
Abespop
Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum,
I really envy you that you live close to a nice river. Have fun and post some photos.

TTB
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM

TTB,
Thanks and yes I am really lucky. Some folks gotta travel a ways and I have got em in my back yard. I will definetly post some pics. Just got to get squared away on how everything wrks here on the forum and will b posting soon enough.
Thanks, AbesPop