The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM

chimborazo is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from Central VA

Hi everybody! I'm a fly fishing newbie in Richmond who just went fly fishing for the first time yesterday. I've been fishing for years, mostly in ponds/lakes and in the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of the Patuxent River. Although I've been fishing for a long time and know a decent amount about it, I would not consider myself a particularly good fisherman and have a ton to learn, especially when it comes to fly fishing.

Anyway, an old friend of mine and I started hanging out again this summer after the loss of our best friend. He had been fishing once when he was 6 (we're both mid/late 30's), but had decided he wanted to get into primitive camping. Part of that meant that he wanted some basic fishing gear. So he got an ultralight spinning rod and came to a pond with me. Well, once his first bluegill was hooked, so was he. It turns out that his boss is really into fly fishing (and probably a member of this forum), so they started talking more about it, we talked about it, and I decided to finally pull the trigger on getting into fly fishing. His boss loaned him an outfit to use until he buys one.

After some research and a lot of deliberation, I went with an Orvis Clearwater II 5wt 9' mid flex with BBS III reel. I took it out yesterday, practiced some casts and started catching some panfish. What a blast! I had a lot of fun, but also know that I have a long way to go as far as casting and just about everything else. I was sloppy as hell but it was fun and I didn't get skunked. I can't wait to get out there again and look forward to taking the classes Orvis offers when they start up again in the spring.

So, that's my story. If anybody in the Richmond, VA area wants to hook up with a newb and do some fishing (any kind, not just fly), let me know! Finally, I look forward to learning from you all, as in the few weeks I've been reading this forum I've already learned a ton.

Best,
Omar
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Greetings from Central VA

Hey Omar,

That's a great intro, lots of background, heck I feel like I know you already. have fun fly fishing and let us know how you are doing. If you have a camera take some pictures when you're out fishing, they don't have to be fish pictures. Everyone here seems to love photographs, animals, landscapes and yeah fish too, so stay in touch.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Omar

Sometimes it may take a day or two for people in the vicinity to discover your post, I will keep it near the top to make sure they find you. Enjoy the forum and keep us posted on your fishing adventures.

Dave
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Omar: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! I can't help with local knowledge, but I'm sure we have members here that can provide some assistance. Keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to ask questions, we have some very knowledgeable fly fisherman on this forum that are more than willing to help out.

Larry

Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Omar,always great to have a new member onboardLooking forward to seeing your posts and pics
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM

chimborazo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warm welcome! All I can think about right now is fishing!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

welcome from an american out of place the far side of the Atlantic from you, but like you when I first used a fly rod I went for panfish-mostly black cappies and bluegills and an occasional largemouth bass or two and I loved it as there were no trout and still aren,t in eastern SD where I grew up. Glad you,re enjoying the experience-even though mine was nearly a lifetime ago!
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!