Greetings from Upstate NY (Albany Area)

fire instructor

Reaction score
Good Evening, All!

Another newbie here. Long time spin fisherman, but new on this site, and new to flyfishing. I'd owned a 8' fiberglass fly rod for 30+ years, but all I'd ever really used it for was with an ultralite spinning reel on it. I used it like a very long ultralite spinning rod. Caught lots of fish on it that way....

It's a dinosaur rod. I bought it in 1977 from a shop in Troy, NY that was closing, and had a close-out sale. Got it for $15. When I got it home, I went to fill out the mail-in card tied to one of the eyes, and it had a check-box to check if I wanted to be sent my "New 1964 Shakespeare Catalog". I still use it for extra reach with a spinning lure while fishing from my kayak. Not bad for a $15, 47 year old rod!!!

After watching and admiring the work of fly fisherman at a distance, I decided that it was my time to give it a try. Needed to make some decisions on what equipment to buy, and while doing some internet research, stumbled upon this site and signed up.

Had to drive to northern Vermont two Saturday's ago for some work, so I took the opportunity to stop at Orvis in Manchester. Looked around, asked some questions, picked up a book, a DVD, and some literature.

Now, after doing some reading, I'll likely be headed back there on Black Friday to pick out a Christmas present to myself!

Be safe, and Everyone Goes Home,

Rick

"Fire Instructor"

littledavid123

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Rick

We enjoy hearing the stories of our new members so don't be shy. :D Also check out the search tab as there is a treasure trove of good stuff hidden in there.

Dave

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Rick: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! You will soon learn that this is a life long adventure, your always learning something new which makes it so interesting. Don't be shy about asking questions and be sure to use YouTube as a resource in your learning and be sure to look around and see if there is a Troout Unlimited chapter or other fly fishing club in your area. You will learn a lot faster if you can get someone to mentor you through the beginning stages. Good luck and be sure to post reports of your progress.

Larry

fire instructor

Reaction score
Thank you, All, for the warm welcome!

I became that much closer to becoming "one of you" today, as I spent a few hours of my "Black Friday" actually spending some $$$ at Orvis, Manchester, VT, rather than just drooling with envy when I've stopped there.

Picked-up a Clearwater II 905-4 Mid-action, with matching Battenkill Bar Stock reel. This was the rod/reel/line combo that I had been looking for, but the on-line Orvis site said was no longer available. Also picked-up a vest, some tools (or "toys", according to my wife) to stuff the vest, and Tom Rosenbauer's "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide".

Because I was able to get the rod I wanted in the Clearwater line, I didn't have to spend the extra $$$ to upgrade to the Access, so I was able to get much more bang for my buck , as this is a "learner's" set-up. Now I can't wait to continue my learning!

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Rick welcome to the site and congrats on the gear and "toys". Sounds like you'll be getting off to a great start. You have some great fishing in the area -- you may also want to look into joining a local Trout Unlimited chapter-- they are generally welcoming to new members, have informative meetings and group trips to local waters (and you have some great water up there) And you'll also probably meet some new fishing buddies. It's a great way to jump start the learning curve. You can do a search here (I think the Clearwater Chapter might be close to you) -- Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing!

fire instructor

Reaction score
Thanks, Mark! I've already contacted Clearwater TU, and I've met-up with one of their guys who works inthe fly fishing area of a local sporting goods shop.

I'm signing-up for 8 weeks of fly-tying class through Clearwater TU, and then 10 weeks of casting class with them. They provided me with a compprehensive list of tools, etc. that I need for the tying class, and I'm getting most of it at the aforementioned local shop.