The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Another Montana Member

I've been a member for a couple of weeks but have not introduced myself. I grew up in NW Montana spin fishing and started fly fishing when I was about 12. I would sneak out my dads fly rod (which was off limits) to fish a nearby creek when he was at work. I don't think he ever knew I was using it until years later when I told him. He passed away a couple years ago and that rod/reel is now on my wall. That got me started but in high school I began to get distracted from fishing and did not return until my early twenties.

When I got back into fly fishing I also began tying flies. I lived in Colorado at the time and also chased warmwater species (pike, crappie, bass, bluegill) with a fly which I enjoyed in addition to trout. When my son began fishing when he was around 3 I again put down my fly rods. I had a couple close call with him wandering behind me and worried about hooking him so I started spin fishing with ultra-light gear for a new challenge. I enjoyed that but missed fly fishing the whole time.

After returning to Montana my son was old enough that I knew he wouldn't wander behind me so I picked up the fly rods and began tying again. My son is also starting to fly fish. There is some great fishing in this area. I plan to go steelhead fishing next fall and would like to take a trip to TX to chase redfish in the near future. I really enjoy this site. I'm sure it will help keep the fire going on those cold winter days when I'm snowed in and had my fill of tying for the day.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Another Montana Member

Welcome to the forum, you will certainly find a lot of fuel for the fire on here!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying the forum and I can testify that get you through even the worst of winters.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

SW Montana - which city?

I love this section of the state.. I do wish steelhead would figure a way to get over the divide though
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. As the winter progresses you will find the site activity going up until it's a veritable bees hive...lol

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Welcome to the forum. As the winter progresses you will find the site activity going up until it's a veritable bees hive...lol
but nobody bites here
lucky you to live in a flyfishing paradise
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Your going to enjoy teaching your son how to fly fish and then going fishing together. Keep us posted on your progress and trip reports!

Larry

Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I have thought about moving someplace with less harsh winters and Montana is at the top of my list. I have family in Billings and Townsend. I have Family in Wyoming and Colorado as well. It would be nice to be closer. I will be at least visiting Montana this winter.

This is a great forum, glad to have you here.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard. Boy waht lucky guys you are living in Montana. I was in real torture last June travelling through Montana and seeing how flooded all the major rivers were and how tempted to stop and wet a fly line a few times-especially when I saw the sign at the St Regos city limits claiming it,s the fly fishing capital of the world and wanting to take up the challenge to see if they,re right. Finally got a chance to fish in eastern Washington, but conditions were tough. Enjoy and I,m glad your son likes fkly fishing, too.
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!