The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Clemson is on a distinguished road
Headed to Idaho

Hello to all. This is my first post.

I am not exactly brand new to fly fishing. I have fished popping bugs for bass off and on for 50 years. I AM new to trout fishing, however. I am planning a trip to the Salmon River in a few days, so I bought a new fly rod a bit more appropriate for the task than my old glass bass rod.

The outfit that I am taking is not high-dollar -- just decent within my price range. I have a 5 wt 8'6" Sage FLi rod with an inexpensive Ross reel and Rio Grande floating line. I bought a couple of packs of ready made leaders -- 9 foot 3X, and some 3x, 4x, and 5x tippet material. I plan to buy flies in Boise and McCall. Any suggestions on patterns for the Middle Fork in early July?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Clemson
Old 06-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Headed to Idaho

I know the Stonefly hatch is probably gone, but I would still try a Girdle Bug, BIG AND BLACK. When I am in new waters in Idaho, I also go with the standards like Haresears, Pheasant Tails, Prince Nymphs, and of course COPPER JOHNS! Dries, Elk Hair Caddis! or Goddard.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks, Joni. It is good to hear from someone who has been there!

My wife is a complete newbie, so I had better pick a few that SHE can catch fish on, or my future as a trout fisherman is in jeopardy.

Clemson
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM

p.s. Any guidance on SIZE of fly is also appreciated.

Clemson
Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The shops up there would be able to help you. On Dries I will fish a 14 to a 20 at times and nymphs in the #12 range.