The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Tyer from Georgia new to Salmon flies

Hi all
I'm a trout fisherman/fly tyer from Georgia just outside of Atlanta. I have lurking and occasionally posting for a while and I must say I'm am blown away by some of the Salmon Flies I have seen on here. I have done many google searches to look a what I would call "useful artwork" in short I am very impressed with the quality and looks of Salmon flies. One thing I noticed was a lack of "how to" tutorial sites, I'm probably not looking in the right places though.
I have been tying for 20 years and would consider my self a competent tyer (as in I can tye flies and go catch fish with them) of nymphs large and small, southern streamers, small emergers, soft hackles, and tiny midge nymphs. I seldom fish drys so I seldom tye them, and it seems nobody in the South knows much about Wet Flys (tying them or fishing them) either, from a lay person they look similar so I'm assuming they are similar.
I really want to learn the basics of Salmon Flies, could someone recommend sites or books that will help me in baby steps at first to get started tying and understanding Salmon flies. I'm not sure thay would be effective in this part of the country but I want to learn how to tye flies this pretty and maybe learn some techniques that will transfer back to my trout flies.
I was hoping somebody could push me in the right direction
Thanks,
Zug
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tyer from Georgia new to Salmon flies

Are you looking to tie "Classic" (usually married wing) flies, or modern hair and feather wing flies? Pacific salmon or Atlantic salmon? There's a host of good books and internet stuff out there, let us know what specifically you're wanting to get in to, and I bet you get pointed in a guzzillion directions.
Gary
Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Are you looking to tie "Classic" (usually married wing) flies, or modern hair and feather wing flies? Pacific salmon or Atlantic salmon? There's a host of good books and internet stuff out there, let us know what specifically you're wanting to get in to, and I bet you get pointed in a guzzillion directions.
Gary
You just got way beyond me..LOL I like the more colorful ones, and natural materials also. I guess I like the flys from an artistic view point, I doubt I'll ever make it up there to Salmon fish. Not sure what the difference between Atlantic and Pacific flys other than the obvious.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i just got into tying married wing flies. Take it from me, looks can be deceiving!
They look simple, but there's more to them than what you see in the photos.
i would say check out classicflytying.com and look at the tutorials and 'pinned' threads on the salmon fly forum. There you will find good recommendation for books as well as tips for getting started.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Zug,
Pocono did a fine 'step by step' tutorial last Winter that went from the basics to a very detailed married wing. Give this a look at see if it's offers what your looking for.
Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Zug,

If we could turn back the clock then we might be able to meet. I used to live on Martin Mill Road on the fringes of Newnan Georgia. Even though I was residing South West of Atlanta I was tying feather wing streamers and some salmon flies just for the future. If you're looking to learn, where you live won't be a problem and some of my flies worked just fine up in the streams of the Blue Ridge area.

Just ask questions and you'll get answers here. We aren't a salmon & steelhead fly tying forum specifically but there are some very good tiers lurking about who will be eager to help you get the hang of it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Hi There from an american living in northwest england. Here is the "salmon fishing forum" and it has some great fly tiers on there who will very willing to help. Like this one it,s totally free to register.
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!