The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM

stevem is on a distinguished road
Default New to the forum

Hello there,

I was pointed to this forum from some flyfishing folks at my favourite woodworking forum, seems there are quite a few who enjoy both of those pastimes!

Anyways, I've been fishing since I was a kid (30+ years) and have always wanted to try fly fishing. Now my kids interest in fishing has rekindled my interest and encouraged me to finally try flyfishing.

Having read much info here and elsewhere, I bought a Scientific Angler combo kit at a local dealer so as not to spend big $$$ before I find out if I like it or not. One look at my collection of spinning rods, reel and tackle and I know how much one can spend on this stuff

We are heading out on a camping trip to Algonquin Park in a few days, should give me plenty of time to try it out.

I can see there is lots of great info here.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! Once you get your first fish on a fly, the fish will not be the only one hooked! You will wonder why you waited so long! Any questions, please be sure and ask! Lots of good information on this forum and people willing to share their wealth of experience. Don't forget though, "It's still gonna take three more years to think like a fish!" (A River Runs Through It)
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

Steve! Not only is there lots of great info here, there are also a lot of great people here as well. Let us know how your trip Algonquin Park went.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Just jump in and start asking questions. Let us know how your trip goes.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Glad we can help get you started.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Thanks guys. We're heading to Algonquin in the morning.

I can't wait to hit the water.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM

Re: New to the forum

Back from Algonquin, trip was great.

I really enjoyed my first go at flyfishing, maybe even more than I expected.

On my 3rd 'cast', this little guy was charitable enough to become my first fish caught on a fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

Followed only a few casts later by one a bit larger:
Click the image to open in full size.

I've always loved fishing for river smallmouths, they are a blast on a fly rod too. Over the week and a half, my son and I must've caught 100 smallies in various rivers and lakes. Occasionally I used an ultralight spinning rod when I had my two little ones in the canoe. I figured me flailing my fly rod while they were each casting was a recipe for disaster. I did try the fly rod a few times from the canoe when it was just two of us though, it was great fun.

The two biggest fish of the week for me was a 3 lb smallie and a 1 1/2 lb perch. Caught them both on the same evening with a wasp-like fly. That and a muddler minnow were very successful for me. That 3 lb smallie was a handful on the fly rod out of the canoe.

Best moment was about halfway through the trip, just as the sun set, my 8 year-old son asked how old he has to be before he gets a fly rod.

Thanks to all, I may now be addicted
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steve,

Way to go. Smallies are great fish for the fly rod. They love to eat flies. Won't be long and you will be thinking about tying your own flies. Then there is no turning back.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Nice fish! Looks like you're catching on quick! We're proud of you!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)