The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM

kayakfisher7 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Escondido, California

Hello fellow fishermen!

I work full time as a Manufacturing Engineering Manager for a Medical Device company live in Southern California and my wife and I both love to fish, camp, tour on our motorcycles, wine taste and hike...and any excuse to go outdoors! We have a 16' aluminum boat and 17' canoe that we sometimes use for freshwater fishing along with a lot of shore fishing and we hunt trout in the Eastern Sierras and bass and striped bass in local lakes and the Colorado River. Over the last few years we've successfully fished the Owens River, June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake, Grant Lake, Colorado River, Diamond Vally Reservoir, Lake Skinner and other places. We have a big 5000 mile+ motorcycle fishing trip planned for June or July (just started planing) and will be traveling up the California coast to Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and back home.

I am not much of a fly fisherman and my wife has never held a fly rod but I used to enjoy fly fishing when I was younger and felt this trip is a great opportunity for me to get back into it and for us both to learn to enjoy fly fishing together . My hope is that we will really enjoy the trip much more by fly fishing the best rivers and lakes in the country along our way.

My hope here is to learn a lot from you all so we will be well prepared for our trip. Thanks for listening!

Steve
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hello from Escondido, California

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

There are thousands of threads here and you can focus your search by visiting the 'Forums' page (see the tab at the top of this page) or you can post any question you may have, someone will always answer you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Steve. Just a thought, but if you haven't fly fished for some time. For each of the areas you plan to fish also do some research and find a quality fly shop near by. They should be able to offer good advice on fly selection that is current.

Dave
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM

kayakfisher7 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Good advice! I have several months to practice my casting and get up to speed on latest technology lines and methods but I was thinking to visit the fly shops along the way on my trip especially in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado to find out what was working best in those areas. I really am kicking myself for not getting back into fly fishing a long time ago. Right now I am plotting my route through those states. I will add the best fly shops to my route along the way.

Steve
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Welcome Steve. If you haven't already been, Bob Marriott's in Fullerton is our local fly shop. Very well stocked and great source of info. They offer great free educational seminars on weekends; had a talk on DVR a couple weeks ago. I believe they have a talk on fly fishing local streams coming up soon, though it is not posted on their website yet. They have a great assortment of rods which they are always willing to let you try on in their parking lot.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! That is one heck of a trip on two wheels! For where you're likely to fish you'll find that a 5wt rod is as heavy as you need to go. There may be times when you'd like something 'heavier,' strong wind-etc, but in the main that will cover 90+ per cent of the fishing you're likely to do over the trip.

Rod length? 9'6'' or a 10'er, the extra 12 - 18 inches over an 8.5 does bring something to the party. Lines? A 100 grain sink tip and a WF floater will do just about every thing you'll need.

My two cents.

fae
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Steve: Welcome to the forum! +1 for what Fred stated. As your planning progresses, don't hesitate to ask questions, we will do our best to help you out. One thing to keep in mind as you get into the Rockies, and that is spring snow melt. The last couple of years the snow pack was pretty heavy and spring run off didn't finish until mid-July. So far this has been kind of a weird winter, early on we had no snow, lately we have made up for the earlier drought. The Wind River Range is at 100%. What all this means is that if you come in June, keep posted on the river conditions. Here is the USGS web site that will help keep you informed: USGS Real-Time Water Data for the Nation
That said, you still have plenty of tailwaters to fish. One spot I would recommend is fishing the Green River below Flaming Gorge near Dutch John, UT which is about an hour south of Green River, WY. What I like about that river is that there are lots of camping options available, there is a BLM walking trail from the dam to Little Hole, the first takeout (7 miles), so you have the opportunity to spread out. The roads are all paved so riding a motorcycle would be no problem and best of all the fishing along that river is fantastic. Checkout the local fly shop, Trout Creek Flies, it has lots of information on the river, camping, fishing, etc. Green River Fishing | Trout Creek Flies | Green River Outfitters
You might also want to tour through Yellowstone NP if you haven't ever been there before, it is a special experience to tour the park on a bike and there is lots of water to explore as well as campgrounds. If you do decide to tour the park then I would also recommend that you travel out the NE entrance and do Hwy 212 (The Beartooth Hwy) over to Red Lodge, MT. Traveling on the Beartooth Hwy is an experience of a lifetime on a bike, the views are just awesome. I've heard there is some great fishing along that route, but have never taken the time to investigate it first hand.

Larry

Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Steve....you're in the right place to get tons of infos...lots of helpful guys here
Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, thanks for the 'thumbs up,' and more importantly the link to the river flows. Have these (State by State) bookmarked on my lap top.

NEVER go (river) fishing without looking up the gauge stream flows. Puppy gives you 90% of what you need to know before you even start your car/truck engine.

98% of my fishing is here in Oregon, but between that info, and the 'stuff' put out by the Oar-E-Gone fish and game you have a solid read on what to expect ... or not.

The 'or not?' Thinking about hitting the upper end of the Rogue River today (even if I feel like I've been tossed into "Hell in a Hand-basket" -last three weeks have not been good). Dumping water out of Wm Jess at 2007 cfs??? Say What????

Gear Guys with 2oz of lead have a chance; fly flickers? ...

One run is about all you could 'suck-self-lessly' fly fish? (Bike chain sink tip excepted.) Crummy answer, but is it worth $25.00 worth of Petrol to fish 100 yards of water?

Ki-Ban Feeevur is a very bad thing ....
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Steve.
You have a mammoth trip planned,heaps of places to fish & you are in the best place for info as you can't beat local knowledge,from people like Fred,Larry & of course Ard in Alaska & many many others who also has intensively fished many areas & as stated don't be afraid to ask questions especially when they come to mind.
Incidently a guy I know a couple of years ago went on an organised Tour & rode a Harley across America,bad news is he didn't Fish.
Good Luck sorry I can't join you as I don't think I could ride a Bike that far.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 01-31-2012 at 04:28 PM.