The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Stevew is on a distinguished road
Default New to Fly Fishing

Hi friends. I am new to fly fishing.I am 43 and disabled.I live in central Ky.I have fished most of my life and love it.Its an addiction.I recently received a fly tying kit as a gift and i have made it my new hobby.I have tied around 300 so far.I use these with an ultra light rod and reel.I purchased a used fly rod and reel at a local flea market and have never cast it yet.I cant wait to learn more about fishing with it.This seems like an awesome forum to learn in.I'm glad i found it.I'm sure i will be asking alot of questions in the future.
-Steve
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New to Fly Fishing

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the board. There are some great tyers on this forum and most of your questions can be answered. A light weight rod could be a problem for a beginner. It is according to how short it is. Tell us more about your rod and reel. Looking forward to your post.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 AM

Stevew is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the welcome.I should have been clearer in my introduction.I have been using a ultralight spinning rod and reel with my flys.I have not used my fly rod yet.It is an old Pflueger 315FY 7' rod.I believe it is a 5wt but im not sure.It has a Pflueger medalist reel and im not sure what line is on it.I bought the rod and reel at a flea market for $10 and it looks like new.
My goal is to learn all i can about fly fishing.I have tried casting a couple times but i need alot of practice.I hope to learn more about the lines,leaders,tippets and what works best with different rod weights.Fly fishing is not real big here.In fact none of my friends fly fish.More reason for me to want to learn it.
-Steve
Old 08-11-2007, 02:38 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! Flyfishing is a great sport! When you see (and you will!) your fly making that perfect float (and not so perfect float!), see the ripple, hear the splash, feel the tug, watch the rod bend and feel the fish take off-oh, what a feeling!!! Nothing like it!! Just you and the fish. Lots to learn but what an adventure! I think I learn something new every outing. Ask lots of questions and read, read, read and then go put the theory into practice! Then go read some more. We are here to help you enjoy this great sport!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)