The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 AM

andrew85 is on a distinguished road
Default hey all.

i am andrew watkins and i've just started fly fishing. i bought an older berkley cherrywood rod a few weeks ago, and ive just got all the line, leaders, ect to get started.
my first attempts at casting were quite comical, but im slowly getting the hang of it. hopefully with the help of this site (and all it's members) i can turn myself into a decent fly fisher by the end of the season.
feel free to post any advice/comments that you may have for me.
thanx for your time,
Andrew Watkins
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: hey all.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. You are getting started at a young age and will have a lifetime of joy from fly fishing. I can't think of anything more relaxing than being out on a stream trying to figure out how to catch a few trout.

I am not familiar with the Berkley Cherry wood rod. Is it really Cherry wood or is it fiberglass? Can you tell me a little more about the rod.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of people here willing to help (me included!) to help you enjoy this great sport! Ask a lot of questions! Looking forward to hearing from you and your progress!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! I got into fly-fishing pretty close to your age, and I know you'll enjoy it greatly as well. Let us know what kind of fish you're after and what sorts of water you're fishing, and we'll be more able to point you in the right direction.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 AM

andrew85 is on a distinguished road

thanx for the warm welcomes.
the berkley rod is a very old one, and i believe is made of actual cherrywood. i had to repair the rod tip and it definately looked like it was made of wood.
right now i am currently fishing for trout in a small pond just 5mins from my house. but i am moving back to manitoba in mid september, so i wont be doing much trout fishing. there is a couple reservoirs fairly close, which hold black crappie and small mouth bass. ive heard these fish are not only an exciting fight, but are very good tasting too. i guess i'll have to give it a shot.
thanx again for the warm welcome,
andrew.