The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new guy from miami , florida (pic heavy)

No time to fish this trip, but there were fish jumping in the canals, all over. Mullett, from what I was told by locals. We ate dinner the last night at Milepost 88 in the Keys. Milepost 88 is the location, and the name of the place. They have tables at waters edge, and a small lagoon with underwater lights. While eating, we kept seeing a large fish, unsure what, lurking right on the fringe of the light, but staying mostly in the shadows.... Great food and fantastic Mojito's, BTW.....

Would have LOVED an opportunity to wet a line. Other than this trip, and one other 3-day trip for a conference, the only times that I've ever been to Florida or anywhere on Gulf Coast have been named Charlie, Ivan, Dennis, Katrina, & Gustav, so I get little time to fish when I'm there......

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 AM

sqhertz is on a distinguished road

I think I know the place you're talking about. From what I was told its tarpon that cruise around there.
The canals are full of mullet, small schools of tarpon and other saltwater fish. When I do fish the canals , i try everything I've have with me to hook into one but they never bite. To be honest , I don't know how I would even unhook one if one does take my bait without getting in the water. The ones ive seen in there are huge and lifting them up the canal wall doesn't seem possible lol.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

sqhertz-- welcome to the forum-- you are going to have an absolute blast with a fly rod down there-- and as others have said you're off to a great start already since you already have been catching them on spinning gear-- with a fly rod you'll be fishing the same spots, the same way -- just using some streamers or top water stuff like poppers instead of plugs---

In fact, if you get into it, a lot of the effective patterns are pretty easy to tie yourself.

And I'm sure you'll have shots at snook baby tarpon and all kinds of other stuff it to throw at if you prowl around the canals. The same flies and fly tackle should work for both large bluegill, peacocks and largemouth in fresh as well as sea trout, lady fish, baby tarpon, spanish macks, snappers and snook sized stuff in salt. A 6 weight might be considered a little light for the salt ( as opposed to 8 weights and heavier outfits), but it should work well for smaller, sheltered waters like canals where you're not trying to cast into the teeth of strong winds.

About float tubing--- if you've got gators and crocs around, you may want to reconsider dangling your body parts in the water...

Good luck, ask questions if you've got em, and keep us posted on your adventures
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM

sqhertz is on a distinguished road

i usually get that response when i mention float tubing in my waters down here. i guess people believe that gators live in people back yards , pools , bird baths and everywhere where there is water which is not the case. people are not tolerant of gators in neighborhood waters because of their kids and pets. once one is found , they are immediately removed and disposed of. the lakes i fish and wade in are surrounded by houses and are gator free as far as i know of.
i considered an 8wt but i love catching fish on light tackle and figured the 6wt would give me the challenge im after. but we all know how these things go and im sure i will end up with an 8wt before i know it LOL.

thanks again to everyone for the warm welcomes!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

gators dont tend to be very aggressive but i can understand being afraid. If possible id recommend trying to catch one. They are a blast.