The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 12:24 AM

boo13 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from South Louisiana

Hi all,
I want to say hello from South Louisiana. I've been fly fishing for about 40 years since I "learned" how to wave a $3 fly rod at bass and bream in the Audubon Park lakes in New Orleans. Bait was popping bugs or sometimes those red cellophane strips that you tore off of a pack of cigarettes to open it. Did they work? Not really, but it was better than not fishing.
Nowadays, I mostly fish the Atchafalaya Basin Swamps and area lakes like Chicot, False River, Lake Martin, and others. All are warm water lakes with some bream, sacalait (white crappie) and bass. Fish population is down at False River and the Henderson Swamps for various reasons. These are large enough areas that you pretty much have to fish from a boat, especially in the swamps and lakes, and honestly, I find fly fishing from my bass boat a little clunky, just enough things sticking up (seats, windshield, etc.) to interfere with my line when there is any breeze.
Still, when the choice is fish in less than perfect conditions or don't fish, I'll take fishing any day.
Phil
Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hi from South Louisiana

Welcome to the group! Hope its not too hot to fish down there about now. Take it easy in the Big Easy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hi from South Louisiana

Hi boo13,

Welcome to the forum. Some good fishing down your way. Do you fish for Redfish? I fly fish from by bass boat and Don't seem to have any problems if I use the trolling motor to turn the boat at a 30 degree angle from the target. This positions me so there is nothing but water behind and in front of me. Of course there are times that I can't do that.