The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM

PitBull is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie

Hi,
I've decided to give fly fishing a try. I haven't fished in a long time and only used spinners then. I live in Central Florida but most all of my fishing ambitions are for trout and smallmouth bass in the rivers and creeks in the mountains of Tennessee, Virginia, and N. Carolina. My fishing here in Fla will be mostly practicing for going up there this fall in early November. None of it will be in salt water. I might come to enjoy doing it here more once I get started but the trips up there to the Blue Ridge and possibly out west are what drives me for now.
Here are my questions;
1) Which rod/reel combo? I've done some reseach and the Temple Forks series seems well spoken of so far. I'd want to limit the cost of the rod/reel to under $150 if possible.
What do y'all think?

2) Rod length and line weight. This is preplexing. I've seen 8 1/2" rod and 5 wt. line recomended a lot. Given the fishing I ultimately have in mind in the mountains is this a good choice? Should I go with 6 wt in case I hook into some big largemouths here in Fla. and don't want to bust the line? Where's the trade off in strength vs performance? If I get a rod rated for 5 wt. can I go up or down 1 lb?

3) What kind of line?

4) Lures. To start with I'll probably be woking in small waters close to home for freshwater panfish.

5) A good instructional DVD or books on the subject?
(If any good books are old and out of print I can get them from Ebay)

I don't know anyone here that fly fishes so I can't ask them.
Any input you might want to share I'd appreciate.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-30-2007, 08:14 PM

dguss is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
Hi,
I've decided to give fly fishing a try. I haven't fished in a long time and only used spinners then. I live in Central Florida but most all of my fishing ambitions are for trout and smallmouth bass in the rivers and creeks in the mountains of Tennessee, Virginia, and N. Carolina. My fishing here in Fla will be mostly practicing for going up there this fall in early November. None of it will be in salt water. I might come to enjoy doing it here more once I get started but the trips up there to the Blue Ridge and possibly out west are what drives me for now.
Here are my questions;
1) Which rod/reel combo? I've done some reseach and the Temple Forks series seems well spoken of so far. I'd want to limit the cost of the rod/reel to under $150 if possible.
What do y'all think?

2) Rod length and line weight. This is preplexing. I've seen 8 1/2" rod and 5 wt. line recomended a lot. Given the fishing I ultimately have in mind in the mountains is this a good choice? Should I go with 6 wt in case I hook into some big largemouths here in Fla. and don't want to bust the line? Where's the trade off in strength vs performance? If I get a rod rated for 5 wt. can I go up or down 1 lb?

3) What kind of line?

4) Lures. To start with I'll probably be woking in small waters close to home for freshwater panfish.

5) A good instructional DVD or books on the subject?
(If any good books are old and out of print I can get them from Ebay)

I don't know anyone here that fly fishes so I can't ask them.
Any input you might want to share I'd appreciate.

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff! Welcome to the forum! I too am a newbie/rookie @ fly fishing, so I have NO input on fishing Florida waters. I bought my wife and I the Martin Combo Sets sold here. We are on a learning curve also, but at least I'm in California and don't have as far to drive to catch those beautiful Rainbows and Browns! There's more rods and reels at the Troutlet site you can search for. Enjoy and set the hook! ~Darrell~
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newbie

q's 1-3: Get one of these combo's and you'll be good to go TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear the 8'6" 4/5wt will be a better trout rod, the 9' 5/6wt will do a bit better on largemouths. The fly line itself has a breaking strength over 20lbs, its the leader that can break. However, you do want the leader to break before the rod, because they cost about 1/30th what the rod does.

Flies (they only call them lures in the UK, and only streamers) : go with a panfish kit of some sort. It should include some wooly buggers, foam spiders, and poppers.

Book: the Curtis Creek Manifesto is the best I know of to get started with. Its written up like a kids book, but its simply marvelous.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jeff,

You seem a little confused about rod and line weight. Here is a link you should study. The last section on line weights is interesting. Fly rods and lines have came a long way to provide the fly fisher with a balanced rod and line. The rod is made to cast a certain line weight. The line that matches the rod will load (bend) the rod the correct amount in order to make a cast. If the line is too light or heavy for the rod then the ability to cast is inhibited.

Rod manufactures build the rods to best cast the first 30' of the line. So a 5wt rod needs a 5wt line and that 5wt line will weigh a certain amount in the first 30' in grains. At the end of the fly line you add a leader of various pound ratings and lengths. The strength of the leader is determined by it's diameter. The end of the leader is the tippet and it uses a X rating to designate the diameter and strength of the leader. A 5X leader will have about a 4lb breaking point. A 2X leader will have about an 8lb breaking point. So with a 5Wt rod if you are fishing for Bass you might use a 2X leader and big flies. If you were fishing for trout with the same 5wt rod you would use a 5X leader with much smaller flies. In both cases you would use the same 5wt fly line that matches your 5wt rod.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:15 PM

PitBull is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. Last night (before I got any replies) I went ahead and placed an order with Cabela's since I've had good service with them in the past. The rod I ordered is a TFO 8' 6" 5wt combo.
This is a copy & paste of part of my order confrmation;

Products Ordered

1 of 62-0893 Fly Fishing Made Easy II DVD @ $14.95 each
In stock-Approx delivery Tue 9/11

1 of 31-6986 CABELA'S GETTING STARTED IN FLYFISHING DVD @ $9.99 each

1 of 31-1630 Eastern Dry 16 Piece Fly Assortment ASSORTMENT W/BOX @ $20.99 each

1 of 31-8045 Series 1 Prestige Plus Fly Combo 865/2 @ $169.95 each

I'll get more as needed. Right now I just want to get it and learn to cast!

BigCliff wrote;
Quote:
they only call them lures in the UK
I didn't know a good term for all fly fishing "lures" including and in addition to flies so I used that word. Actucually I grew up calling the "lures" we used for spinning rods "plugs".

Frank wrote;
Quote:
You seem a little confused about rod and line weight. Here is a link you should study.

I was confused. I thought by "weight" that referred to test weight as in 5 lb. test. Shows you how much I need to learn. The link to that article and your advise was very enlighteining.

Thanks to all.
I'll be back