The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello from Northern Iowa (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/248446-hello-northern-iowa.html)

taylor16 03-06-2012 05:46 PM

Hello from Northern Iowa

Hello Everyone. Just starting to take up fly fishing after a 10+ year break from learning the very basics from my Uncle when we would fish for sea bass off the coast south of Boston. Having recently moved to NE Iowa, I'm really interested in getting back into it. At this time, I'm looking into any equipment (I need everything) and I'm leaning to getting my rod and reel from Justin at Allen. I have already learned so much from reading this forum (the search feature is invaluable!).

mcnerney 03-06-2012 05:59 PM

Re: Hello from Northern Iowa

Taylor: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! If you decide to go with Allen equipment, you won't regret it. The Allen rods and reels are very nice. Justin provides some really nice fishing gear at great prices and has been really good about standing behind his gear! Oh, I almost forgot, be sure to talk to Justin first as he gives the forum members a nice discount!!!!

Guest1 03-06-2012 06:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for information. Hope to see posts of your fishing adventures.
Dan

littledavid123 03-06-2012 07:01 PM

Welcome to the forum Taylor, I don't own any Allen rods or reels but I do hear many positive remarks from folks who do. Hope to be hearing about you fly fishing adventures soon.

Dave

caseywise 03-06-2012 07:10 PM

welcome to the forum taylor,
you'll find a great wealth of information on this site as well as a healthy dose of interesting stories and photographs.
as far as gear, allen is the way to go. get in touch with justin and he'll get you set up:).

casey

mbphotos54 03-06-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 409345)
Taylor: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! If you decide to go with Allen equipment, you won't regret it. The Allen rods and reels are very nice. Justin provides some really nice fishing gear at great prices and has been really good about standing behind his gear! Oh, I almost forgot, be sure to talk to Justin first as he gives the forum members a nice discount!!!!

What he said x2, awsome gear. My dad is from Mason City and I remember going up the fish for pike up there, I would love to get back and try that on fly gear. welcome to NAFFF

peregrines 03-07-2012 01:07 PM

Hey Taylor welcome to the forum, make yourself at home here and feel free to ask questions if you have 'em. There's lot's of good stuff to browse through in the FAQ section and our general forums too.

You may also want to check out this nonprofit group that's affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers too if you haven't already:
Hawkeye Fly Fishing

They have a lot of events throughout the year including casting lessons, group trips, conservation activities etc and it would be a great way to meet some new fly fishing buddies and accelerate the learning curve.

ted4887 03-07-2012 03:25 PM

Welcome to the board Taylor. It's nice to see another Driftless guy joining the ranks. I came down a few times this fall to fish NE Iowa. You have some dandy streams in your area for sure.

What species do you intend to target down there? You definitely won't lack for options!

jpbfly 03-07-2012 03:55 PM

:welcome: Taylor....everytime I see Taylor...I think about this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aGYmkivN0E:D

iaflyguy 03-13-2012 01:23 PM

Yay, another northern Iowa guy! Its good to know that I'm not the only one in this part of the woods with this addiction.