The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM

jeremiah is on a distinguished road
Default Hello From Iraq

Hey, I am new to this forum and since there are no trout within, I don't know how many thousands of miles of Iraq, I figured I could at least chat with fellow fishermen about them. My home is East Tennesse, when I'm there I like to fish the small mountion streams in the Smokies for brookies and I also fish the Hiwasee alot. I used to have a Hyde we ran down the river four to five times a week. Good times.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello From Iraq

Jeremiah, I don't know much about Tennessee or the beautiful streams there. I don't know much about Iraq either except it is along ways from here and a different world I am sure. However our best wishes and prayers are with you and hope for you safe return..

I was on the Glover river in Southeast Oklahoma fishing from my new fish cat delux tube this past saturday and I did catch a few of those small mouth and a bunch of goggle-eye perch..The morning was great, the weather was good and the stream I was on might be some what like those in Tennessee- beautiful..I fished a yellow popper and a small deer hair slider and had a lot of top water action...You hang in there...we are blessed to have good memories to carry us till the next time with fly-rod in hand.. MikeLove
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

Jeremiah,

First, let me echo what MikeLove stated in sending you our best wishes and prayers for your safety and safe return. I also enjoy fishing for brook trout in the GSMNP. I have never had the opportunity to fish the Hiwassee before, how well does it fish?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jeremiah,

Welcome to the forum. Your home is in a great fly fishing area. If I could sell my home in Florida I would move up to Eleizabethon City. Looking forward to your post. Do you tye flies?

Thank you for your service and one day you will be back on the river.

Frank
Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. Yes I do tye flies, but I am still learning. Been fly fishing for 9 years and just always bought flies when I started, the last couple of years my friends, who guide on the Hiwassee, have tyed for me and I have learned form them. I brought a vice with me and have been tying some bugs when I get a chance. As far as the fishing on the Hiwassee, it is best early spring through early summer. You can fish it year round, you just need a boat because TVA is running water in th elate summer, fall and winter. There is a three mile section that is single hook and artifichal only, it's my favorite part to fish. We have had several 50 and 60 fish days on this part, but over all it all fishes pretty good. There are some big browns in the river, but just like big bucks, they don't get that way for no reason. One morning I was catching, on average 12 to 13 inch rainbows, on a #20 blue wing olive. The rainbows were feeding on top because a good hatch was working, when out of nowhere a huge brown came up and grabed one of the rainbows. It ate two more and then was gone, it was every bit of 26 t 28 inchs. The largest brown I have seen caught was 26 inchs 12 pounds. Check out Hiwassee.net and there are some good pics of fish taken from the river.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you on board! Are you serving with the military in Iraq?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! sounds like that Brown was a beast.

Thanks for your service and be as safe as you can over there!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM

No I am not in the military, I work with them on different issues. All of the military people I have worked are STAND UP CLASS A PEOPLE in my book! They make my proud to to be an American.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Just curious. Will you be over there long? I guess not too many trout streams over there? That sounds like a really nice brown trout you caught! Be careful over there! I have no doubt there are people that love and care for you waiting here for you. (and not to mention that are some brown trout waiting for you as well!)
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)