The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Hi... New to fly fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/256315-hi-new-fly-fishing.html)

physiognomy 03-24-2012 02:26 PM

Hi... New to fly fishing

Hi everyone!

I've been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now, & thought I better jump in and introduce myself. Thank you all for generously sharing your knowledge and experience with newcomers like me. I have definitely learned a lot already & look forward to reading more & participating where I can.

This year will be my first season fly fishing... I've always used spin gear up until now & grew up fishing for bream, tommy ruff, gar, and whiting around Gulf St Vincent. Moving to a landlocked part of the world has put a cramp on my desire to get out and fish over the last 10yrs, but I'm going to change that. Colorado has some amazing fishing waters & its time to try my hand at fishing like a local. When I've been out in the past, it always seems like the guys who use fly gear do at least 50% better than I do with a light spinning rod. Anyway, enough rambling about my motivation...

I also have to admit that fly fishing attracts the 'gear head' side of me. I can't tell you how much fun it has been to research what I'll need, learning the better brands,different rods/reels/lines, etc, etc. I finally settled on a couple Ross FC 9' rods on sale at Cabelas & matched them with Ross flyrise reels. I liked that Ross was based here in CO & the great warranty on their products. Bass Pro had a nice deal on Sage Ultimate Performance (floating, weight forward) line, so I'm all set for practice casting at the park... I hope to set up a lesson or two here in the next week & then head to a local stream shortly after.

Again, thanks for having me!

Peter

jpbfly 03-24-2012 03:21 PM

Re: Hi... New to fly fishing

:welcomean Peter...good idea to jump in after lurking for a while;)hope we can see some pics of you and your first fish on a fly soon:)

williamhj 03-24-2012 03:25 PM

Welcome! Having just moved here last year I can't get over the amazing fishing that I have so close to home.

darwin 03-24-2012 04:23 PM

Hello Peter & welcome. :welcomean

littledavid123 03-24-2012 07:44 PM

Welcome to the forum Peter.

Helpful hint: Use the search feature as their is a LOT of great stuff hidden in there and if you find a thread of interest to you, post a reply. We revisit the oldies but goodies quite often on here. :) We always enjoy posts from our new members so don't be bashful.

Dave

caseywise 03-24-2012 09:28 PM

peter,
welcome to the forum:D you came to the right place:cool:
looking forward to hearing/hearing more from you.

casey

physiognomy 03-24-2012 10:40 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

mcnerney 03-25-2012 05:11 AM

Peter: Welcome to the forum! You live in a great state to learn fly fishing. I started back in the early 80's while I was in the Air Force stationed in Colorado Springs. It is much easier now days with all the online resources at your disposal. If you can find a fly fishing club nearby I would recommend you join, most fly fishing clubs offer lots of help for new fly fishers. Checkout your local fly shop, they will know if there is a club in your town. Another great resource besides this forum is to use YouTube. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Larry