The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Quill is on a distinguished road
Question Hello from Colorado

Greetings.

I found this website in my search for regional databases for fly-fishing. I didn't find the database, by the way, but figured this might well be a better bet.

I am a novice -- and not a very good one -- but I enjoy fly-fishing enough to accompany my husband through the dead of winter fly-fishing whereever the ice hasn't made it impossible.

I think I may get lucky this year, and talk him into a long weekend in a warmer climate in January or February. Can anyone suggest the warmest place to fly-fish in the south-west? I'm thinking New Mexico or Arizona being the furthest distance for a long weekend. I would love to see the sun AND feel it this winter!

We're set up primarily for good sized cold water trout -- as far as I know. This may not say much... I've read enough tonight to know there's far more to this than I ever imagined!

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hello from Colorado

Hi quill,

Welcome to the forum. We have quite a few lady members and always glad to see another one. Lee's Ferry on the Colorado River is a great spot to fish with a guide. There is some fishing in the Park but it is limited. You can also rent a jet boat and fish up river. This is a good option if you are boaters. You can expect some cold weather in January and February.

The other option is the San Juan in New Mexico and it is not crowded in the winter. I have never fished there in January or February but sometimes the weather can be down right pleasant. I use to fish the San Juan May 1st and many times later in the summer. There is the Arkansas on the Colorado boarder and this is also good in the spring but can be hard to fish sometimes.

We have other members who live in those areas and they may be able to offer some advice. It would help to know where you live.

Frank
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well, there's always the Guadalupe River just south of Austin, TX. I'm not going to fib and say that its anywhere near the quality of your streams in CO, but there is definietly good fishing to be had, and lots of fun attractions in the area. This guide is a great one that does float trips on the river guadalupe guide trout fly fishing texas new braunfels I've done a trip with him and I think the average trout was about 17", and burly.

You can spend the rest of your time in Austin, the "Live Music Capitol of the World", San Antonio and its myriad tourist attractions, or just stay in Gruene Gruene, Texas - Gently resisting change since 1872 which is right on the river itself.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Quill. Love seeing other women ff.
I hear your call for warm water fishing. I suffer (a little) in January and Feb. But I river fish year round. As long as the guides aren't icing up on every other cast, I am there. One thing I will say, when the snow flies, the flies get smaller. I use a lot of #28 and #30's this time of year.
Stay in touch and let us know what happens.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM

wlschindler is on a distinguished road

The problem with both Arizona and New Mexico is that most of the Trout waters are at elevation and you will still find the ice and cold in the winter. I would look at N. California for a place to fish. The Delta near Sacramento, is loaded with LM bass and striper which could be a new and different adventure for you. There are also excellent trout waters - you should talk to a local shop to see what is open before you make your trip. I also agree that the right guide can make all the difference.