The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Another Texas Newbie!! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/2860-another-texas-newbie.html)

Craig24 12-14-2007 09:16 PM

Another Texas Newbie!!

Hello everyone. I am new to the site but not new to fly fishing. My dad got me started about 12 years ago and I have been trying to get better since them. It looks like yall have a lot of good information here and great members. I am excited to see what everyone has to say. I hope everyone has a great holiday season. God Bless.

Craig

Fly2Fish 12-15-2007 06:33 PM

Re: Another Texas Newbie!!

Welcome, Craig. :) Lot of Texans active on this Forum. Many fly fish Texas fresh and salt water, and some like me go out of state instead (in my case, the Rockies/New Mexico to Montana). What part of Texas are you from, and where and for what do you fly fish?

Craig24 12-17-2007 01:55 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I am from Hartley Texas. I am about 20 miles from the New Mexico/Texas border. I also fly fish in New Mexico and Colorado. I am not much into saltwater fishing. Mainly mountain stream and lakes for trout. I only live about 2 1/2 hours from Cimarron New Mexico so it isn't much to pack up one weekend and go fishing. I have been fly fishing for a while but just recently I started going as much as possible. I am planning a trip to the San Juan next month and also 3 or 4 trips to New Mexico and Colorado in late spring early summer. Where are you from in Texas?

Craig

BigCliff 12-17-2007 09:17 AM

Welcome to the group! Must be nice to live so close to so many trout streams. Stay warm up there!

Frank Whiton 12-17-2007 11:39 AM

Hi Craig24,

Welcome to the forum. A lot of good fishing in your area. Are you a fly tyer?

Frank

Fly2Fish 12-17-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig24 (Post 17082)
Thanks for the welcome. I am from Hartley Texas. I am about 20 miles from the New Mexico/Texas border. I also fly fish in New Mexico and Colorado. I am not much into saltwater fishing. Mainly mountain stream and lakes for trout. I only live about 2 1/2 hours from Cimarron New Mexico so it isn't much to pack up one weekend and go fishing. I have been fly fishing for a while but just recently I started going as much as possible. I am planning a trip to the San Juan next month and also 3 or 4 trips to New Mexico and Colorado in late spring early summer. Where are you from in Texas?

Craig

Good area you live in, Craig. I used to (& still wished I did) live in El Paso, which is where I took fly-fishing up, since I spent all my recreational time up in New Mexico. If I wasn't skiing, I was fly-fishing. Unfortunately, I now live in the Houston area, so it is a bit more of a trip to get to the Rockies. Not as bad as it was when I lived for a while in Ohio!
Neil

Craig24 12-17-2007 11:15 PM

Thanks again for the great welcome. I do feel very lucky to live as close as I do to some great fly fishing. I only got to make 3 trips last year but I hoping to double that in 2008! I am not a fly tryer at the time but I plan on getting into it very soon. My biggest fish to date is a 22" Brown that I caught up around South Fork Colorado. It was a huge rush and I have been hooked on fly fishing ever since. :frogdance

Craig

STARMedic 12-18-2007 11:26 AM

Welcome to the forums from another Texas based transplant.

Bruce