The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Introducing myself; (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/288257-introducing-myself.html)

saloman 06-17-2012 08:01 PM

Introducing myself;

May as well introduce myself in a thread like this (photo forthcoming) - spent much of my youth spin fishing during summers but haven't been out for a number of years. This spring in an effort to fill time otherwise spent on the ski slopes during winter I decided to take up the fly rod. Took a full day intro course from some reputable local fly fishing instructors and have been battling the Bow River here in S. Alberta ever since. Have yet to land my first trout which is a bit discouraging, but I can feel my cast and technique improving every time out so I am confident it will come. Lots of great discussion on here from some experienced people, so I look forward to continue soaking it all up!

Hardyreels 06-17-2012 09:36 PM

Re: Introducing myself;

Hey there Saloman,

I moved your post over the the new member introduction threads. It'll get more views here and whenever you're ready to post a picture of yourself you can go back and stick that on the Face With the Name thread, hope that sounds ok with you.

Welcome to the forum, I hope we can be helpful as you expand your fly fishing experiences,

Ard

saloman 06-17-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 464664)
Hey there Saloman,

I moved your post over the the new member introduction threads. It'll get more views here and whenever you're ready to post a picture of yourself you can go back and stick that on the Face With the Name thread, hope that sounds ok with you.

Welcome to the forum, I hope we can be helpful as you expand your fly fishing experiences,

Ard

Serves me right for not scrolling down far enough to find this sub-forum. Thanks!

Mnflyfish 06-17-2012 09:54 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

williamhj 06-17-2012 11:00 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Hardyreels 06-18-2012 06:22 AM

It'll take a while to find your way around the site. I'm still learning new features after years of use. Keep reading and posting and before you know it you'll be one of the regulars.

Ard

mcnerney 06-18-2012 08:36 AM

Saloman: Welcome to the forum! Just keep plugging away and try to read as much as you can on the Bow River, I've heard it can be challenging at times, but rewarding at the same time. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Larry

fredaevans 06-18-2012 09:50 AM

Been quite some time but loved fishing the 'Bow. Are the Elk still wandering around in Banff? Well in the riverside parkway.:D

mikel 06-18-2012 12:27 PM

Hey....a first post that doesn't ask for (a) info about a specific spot you're fishing next week (b) a recommendation for the best beginner fly rod under $100 or (c) what everyone's 5 favorite flies are.

You're already on the way to being a respected poster :)

If you're swinging and twitching and stripping a muddler on the Bow...don't be too surprised if a VERY LARGE brown trout whacks it and takes off at mach 1 headed downstream. Fish the woodpiles, and good luck.

-Mike

saloman 06-18-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 464801)
Saloman: Welcome to the forum! Just keep plugging away and try to read as much as you can on the Bow River, I've heard it can be challenging at times, but rewarding at the same time. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

I've been warned that it's a tough river to learn on, but a piece of good advice I received was to just focus on reading small segments at a time and fish those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 464824)
Been quite some time but loved fishing the 'Bow. Are the Elk still wandering around in Banff? Well in the riverside parkway.

Have yet to fish the Bow upstream of Calgary, but I can assure you the wildlife has not left the National Park!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 464880)
If you're swinging and twitching and stripping a muddler on the Bow...don't be too surprised if a VERY LARGE brown trout whacks it and takes off at mach 1 headed downstream. Fish the woodpiles, and good luck.

Thanks! I haven't spent too much time using streamers but runoff/rain season means I'll be using them next! Don't have any muddlers but do have some wolly buggers, clouser minnows, bow river buggers, and balanced leeches that will hopefully do the job in the brown water.