The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 PM

jeffd18 is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Fisherman Gets "The Bug"

I live near Lake Fork in Texas and am an ardent bass fisherman. We are currently on an RV trip, and I had the pleasure of fishing the Wind River in Dubois, WY with fly shop owner Laramie Wigintin (a great young man, BTW). I actually caught a few brown trout and am hooked! While on the road I look at the rivers and try to figure where the trout might be.

I am not all that far from streams in SE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas, and I have a couple of buddies who fly fish, so I'm looking ahead to more! I looked over the forums and read a few posts - it can be pretty intimidating for a novice. Any thoughts on a forum for new fly casters?

Lake Fork actually hosted a fly fishing bass tournament this past May and the expectation is it will become an annual event. I should be there next year!

I'm almost 62 and have fished for bass most of my life. This is my first fly fishing experience and I'm looking forward to more.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bass Fisherman Gets "The Bug"

Welcome to the forum, Jeff. I am sure many of us will look forward to your adventures into fly fishing.

My advice for a newbie? Fish with people who know how to fly fish. They could be professionals in the fly fishing industry or your best buddies. Also, fish a lot!

You could be onto something with the bass fly fishing tournament. You know all the bass concepts already. All you have to do is merge fly fishing with that. If you think getting a take on a frog lure is cool, wait until you get a take with a topwater fly.

How about some bass motivation?

Have fun with the new endeavor.

MP
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

. You may as well take the total plunge and start tying your own Bass bugs. Just makes it that much more fun.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome!!!! Don't give up on the bass just because you've picked up a fly rod!!!! Fly fishing for bucketmouths is a blast.

Mike's Gone Fishin'... Again: Largemouths

Sep