The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 04:42 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from California!

Hi everyone,

My name's Andrew, I currently reside in the Sacramento area and I just recently stumbled across these forums. I've been on the prowl the last several months for a solid forum to discuss fly fishing and I believe I've found the place! I'm only several months experienced in the sport; my lifetime fishing experience has been mainly rod + reel on small rivers and trolling on lakes w/ the pop's Alumiweld. Recently I refitted dad's old pfleuger medalists and 5 + 6 wt fenwicks and have been hitting up rivers and lakes to master my double-haul.

I hope to spend the next several months (and on, into the future) utilizing this resource of people and their experiences to get up-to-date with tackle and gear when the time comes to upgrade, to better my casts and to learn new ones, and to make new friendships and fishing buddies!

And perhaps one day I'll be a seasoned veteran on these forums, actively helping other novices to the sport!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from California!

Welcome to the board, Andrew. You live in a great area to fly fish. There are summer Steelhead and big Striped Bass in the American. Yuba trout are going crazy for hoppers. The Truckee River trout are eating hoppers and crawdads like there is no tomorrow.

As for support, the Sacramento region has plenty of resources. There are three locally owned shops and an Orvis that are willing to help you gear up and to provide other services (instruction, guiding). There are two fly fishing clubs that can help you pick up your game and get you some people to fish with.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-23-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew: Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of information here, use the search function and don't hesitate to ask questions. You might also look around to see if there is a local fly fishing club or Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area.....ask the local fly shop. If you can find a mentor to help you on a one-on-one it will really steepen the learning curve. Also take a look at what is on YouTube, lots of fly fishing instruction videos there.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Larry
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

AndrewLarry and Dennis....who are great guys have already given you good advice...have fun here and on the water
Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Dennis- thanks for the suggestions on what to hit up this time of year. I've been fishing, lately, in the American already for stripers but no luck yet (are they biting?). And I've been using Kiene's for tackle and have had no reason to go elsewhere, the staff service (Jim Christensen especially) has been phenomenal and have never pressured me into making purchases. I'll have to check out the fly clubs, great idea.

Larry - I'll definitely check out YouTube for videos of various casts, as I'm really only versed in the double-haul at the moment. I'd love a mentor, but I know how taxing it can be to take people under your wing so I'm trying to not leech onto people unless it happens naturally. Hopefully at Dennis' suggestion of joining a local club I find those individuals who are open to showing me the ropes occasionally so the burden doesn't have to rest on one person.

JP - Thanks, I already am to both!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Andrew

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
Dennis- thanks for the suggestions on what to hit up this time of year. I've been fishing, lately, in the American already for stripers but no luck yet (are they biting?).
There are Striped Bass from the mouth all the way to Sailor Bar. The bite is very early in the morning and in the last couple hours of daylight. Being in a boat will give you a better chance on getting a fish than walking and wading. Try fishing the Lower Sunrise and Sailor Bar areas. I won't give specifics, but the fish are there.

Dennis
Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Dennis - Thanks. I've, in fact, seen guides out at sunrise and sailor bar when I've gone out. If you've seen a dude in swim trunks the last week or two out there fly fishing, chances are it's been me. I've seen 'em jumping in the morning and evening (like you said) but it's been hard to get the distance out to them on my 6 wt fenwick with all of the junk on the tip of my fly line for a striper setup. Hopefully this rod I'm checking out Monday will solve my issues (I've got a thread about it in the rod discussion forum if you're curious).

Ard - Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM

aphex0 is on a distinguished road

Hey Andrew, I'm in thousand Oaks. hope to hear some good stories, maybe you can clue me in on some good spots