The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Total Newbie from Pittsbugh

Hello,

I just found this forum a couple days ago and signed up yesterday. I thought I should probably introduce myself.

I have officially gone out fly fishing twice now, within the past two weeks. Prior to this, I have always spin cast and I have fished streams a total of maybe three days in my life, but that was almost 40 years ago when I was a kid and knew even less than I do now.

Since I live near Pittsburgh, I always thought there were no streams to fish but turns out I was wrong. And I also thought that fly fishing was way too hard. It certainly is different than what I am used to but I think I may be catching on. I actually caught a small bass and two mid-sized trout the two times I was out. It was cool catching fish the first couple times I fly fished but the coolest thing was catching them on flies I had tied.

I have always watched fly fishers with awe over the years because it always seemed like they caught twice as many fish as everybody else around (and about ten times more fish than me!).

I happened upon a bunch of Orvis gift certificates and thought, "What the heck?" So I bought a 9' Clearwater 5wt and a Battenkill reel. Once I put on the backing, line, leader, tippets, and (ugh) tax, I was out about $35 of my own money.

I have been practicing in my yard since last November and finally had the guts to go out on the water a couple Fridays ago. I have to say, that day was the best day I ever had fishing in my life. I only caught a young bass (a whole five-inches long) but just going thru the motions was more fun than I ever had before. I went out again last Friday and had even a better time. I found that I could 'almost' get my fly where I wanted it to go roll casting. The only problems I was having was I kept hooking leaves as they were falling like crazy. Is there a way to get around that problem? Probably not!

Sorry for the long post. I am hoping to learn a lot here.

Ray
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Total Newbie from Pittsbugh

Welcome Ray! Your post sounds like you're having a pretty promising start, and certainly jumping in head first with both fly fishing and tying (nothing at all wrong with that ). And nope, hooking leaves and other random floating (and sunk) things will never go away. Keep the stories coming and enjoy the forum, and have fun with the new addiction!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Awesome story. Those certificates sure came in handy. Good equipment helps a lot. You sure did jump right in.
Wait till you start hooking leaves still attached too high above trees. Small price to pay for brookie on though
Have fun
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ray....great introduction
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Ray....great introduction
+1 here; welcome to the group. As for leaves ...... ... they're just a fact of life at this time of the year.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Noreaster,

I didn't talk about the flies I lost already to the darn fly-eating trees

To tell you the truth, I was intrigued with tying flies years back, almost 20 now. I used to work swing shifts and there was this guy who always worked the night shift who would tie flies on slow nights. He never fished--he hated it. He never even ate fish--he hated fish. But he loved to tie flies and had tied them for years and years. He was tying a salmon fly the first time I saw him tying and it was so cool that I thought "Hey, I want to do that."

Too bad life happened. The second kid came along right after that and I had to pack fly tying away for another day. A couple years ago, a group of outdoorsmen put together a free ten-week fly tying class at a local church (emphasis on the word "FREE").

With the oldest kid in college and the other a junior in high school, I went. I found a cheap-o Thompson vice on eBay and went to the first class. It was more fun than I thought, even after well over 15 years. I was wandering around a Gander Mountain one day and they were getting rid of all their higher-end fly tying stuff and I found a nice Griffith Superior 3ARP Vise for $40! Complete with a clamp AND a pedestal. I sort of had to get it.

I tried using a bubble on my spinning rod that summer and thru last summer. I was always chicken to try it out in the water because, well, I pretty well stunk up the joint in my backyard and I didn't want to look like an idiot on the water.

An older guy I met in the tying class more-or-less forced me to go out the first time. I had made him a basic tying desk and he wanted to pay me. I told him to just take me out and show me how to at least roll cast and that would be payment enough. He was a good teacher. I hope I have 1/10th the patience he had with me that day.

I lost flies in those darn trees that day. I slid down a bank and slammed my rear-end on the ground so hard once that it hurt to walk for two days. I got my line all twisted around me many times. Caught every log in the stream (it had rained the day before A LOT, so the creek was really deep and muddy). I hooked my hat a couple times because I was trying to really cast when he wasn't looking. And I wasn't paying attention once and turned around to tell him I lost a fly when he cast his fly and hooked it on my fly line right in front of my nose.

So, you are right: I have jumped in with both feet but I am a klutz.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll stick around and post frequently so we can follow your development from beginner to hard core enthusiast

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Noreaster,

I didn't talk about the flies I lost already to the darn fly-eating trees

To tell you the truth, I was intrigued with tying flies years back, almost 20 now. I used to work swing shifts and there was this guy who always worked the night shift who would tie flies on slow nights. He never fished--he hated it. He never even ate fish--he hated fish. But he loved to tie flies and had tied them for years and years. He was tying a salmon fly the first time I saw him tying and it was so cool that I thought "Hey, I want to do that."

Too bad life happened. The second kid came along right after that and I had to pack fly tying away for another day. A couple years ago, a group of outdoorsmen put together a free ten-week fly tying class at a local church (emphasis on the word "FREE").

With the oldest kid in college and the other a junior in high school, I went. I found a cheap-o Thompson vice on eBay and went to the first class. It was more fun than I thought, even after well over 15 years. I was wandering around a Gander Mountain one day and they were getting rid of all their higher-end fly tying stuff and I found a nice Griffith Superior 3ARP Vise for $40! Complete with a clamp AND a pedestal. I sort of had to get it.

I tried using a bubble on my spinning rod that summer and thru last summer. I was always chicken to try it out in the water because, well, I pretty well stunk up the joint in my backyard and I didn't want to look like an idiot on the water.

An older guy I met in the tying class more-or-less forced me to go out the first time. I had made him a basic tying desk and he wanted to pay me. I told him to just take me out and show me how to at least roll cast and that would be payment enough. He was a good teacher. I hope I have 1/10th the patience he had with me that day.

I lost flies in those darn trees that day. I slid down a bank and slammed my rear-end on the ground so hard once that it hurt to walk for two days. I got my line all twisted around me many times. Caught every log in the stream (it had rained the day before A LOT, so the creek was really deep and muddy). I hooked my hat a couple times because I was trying to really cast when he wasn't looking. And I wasn't paying attention once and turned around to tell him I lost a fly when he cast his fly and hooked it on my fly line right in front of my nose.

So, you are right: I have jumped in with both feet but I am a klutz.
Great story. A teacher really helps tremendously. I have traded in my 9' rod for 7'6" and 6'6" rods for those very reasons. My favorite hole is a roll cast only zone with lots of birch trees overhanging.
I have learned to veer off frustration by accepting the fool in me, and laughing at myself when I get into predicaments of all kinds. Norman Maclean wrote that life like fly fishing is messy and we are the mess.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I presume you got your Orvis rig from International Angler. Ok. You know where the Chartiers Creek is? I've been told there was a fall trout stocking on it. Or, if warm water fly fishing turns you on, white and hybrid bass are hitting fairly well too in the rivers.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. Originally from the Pittsburgh area and spent the first 30 years of my life in the 'Burgh. Great town. The trout fishing around most of Pittsburgh is stocked/put and take fisheries. Fun though. You're not too far from some of the finest spring creeks in the country in central Pennsylvania and the Steelhead season in Erie is just getting into full swing.

Cheers,
Mike.