The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 PM

laxfisher35 is on a distinguished road
Default Saying Hello!

Hi everyone!

I am new to fly fishing and would love to really start getting into it before I go to college. I am 17 years old and I live in Dallas, Texas. My best friend and I started fly fishing this past summer but I haven't really often to since I didn't have a rod and would just trade off with him when he wasn't using it. Tomorrow I am going to cabelas to purchase my first rod and I am very excited. I don't know a whole lot but I know enough to get me started. I am most likely going to buy a cabelas LSi 9 foot 5 weight just to start out with. And I know some might say it's too nice of a rod to start with but I found it or only $70 in the bargain cave and that is just as much as any of the cheaper ones so why not get a fantastic one for the same price as a beginner one?! But it is only the rod so I will have to buy the reel separately. The reel will most likely be the prestige plus or a wind river reel but I'm not sure what size to get. I mostly fish for perch, bream, and bass so I will probably get a 5/6 weight in either of those reels. I'm not totally sure about how to pick a reel but I believe you match the weight Of the rod to the reel. I am sure the guys at cabelas can help. If anyone has any ideas on reels that are reasonably priced or anything that will help a beginner that would be fantastic. Also I plan on attending Colorado state university so if anyone knows of good spots in Fort Collins Colorado to fly fish let me know! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-16-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Change title to fit Introductions thread;
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Youth Forum

Hi,

I know everything but a name to call you but I'll say Welcome to The Forum laxfisher for now. You may notice I moved your thread from the Youth Forum to introductions because you did such a good job on the intro.

If you post your questions as you are learning any and all will probably be answered by the members here. But.....you'll have to get to know some of the folks before they tell you where their fish'en holes are at

Welcome,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! The Poudre runs through town and it used to be a really nice fishery, but the recent big fire in Poudre canyon followed by the heavy rain caused the lower river to turn black with ash, so I'm guessing that the fishing won't be any good for awhile. If you have a car you could travel up the Poudre canyon and fish the section above the fire damage, it should fish very well. Also if you look on a map there are a lot of ponds in the area so do some leg work and you will find some terrific fishing. You also have the Big Thompson river that flows out of Estes along hwy 34 and of course the Rocky Mountain NP is loaded with great fishing if your willing to do some hiking.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It looks like you got your first tip on where to go & where not to go. I'm surprised that you haven't had more replies.

Come On Folks,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Welcome to the forum! The Poudre runs through town and it used to be a really nice fishery, but the recent big fire in Poudre canyon followed by the heavy rain caused the lower river to turn black with ash, so I'm guessing that the fishing won't be any good for awhile. If you have a car you could travel up the Poudre canyon and fish the section above the fire damage, it should fish very well. Also if you look on a map there are a lot of ponds in the area so do some leg work and you will find some terrific fishing. You also have the Big Thompson river that flows out of Estes along hwy 34 and of course the Rocky Mountain NP is loaded with great fishing if your willing to do some hiking.

Larry

See, we don't have a problem telling you what 'rock to stand on.' Welcome to the group and keep us advised how the fishing goes for you.

Fred
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 AM

laxfisher35 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone ill definitely remember that spot and try to find out where it is. I'm going up to CSU for a campus visit and lacrosse tournament beginning of next month so I'll see if I can't find where you are talking about. I just got my rod a reel yesterday. I got the LSi 9 foot #5 but ended up getting the Wide Rivers 2 reel. The setup is incredibly light and the rod has amazing feel. Keep the tips coming! Also feel free to PM me anything as well! My name is Jordan by the way! Thanks for making me feel welcome!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying Hello!

Jordan...the old farts are glad to see a little "young blood" on the forum
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Welcome young man. you are going to love fishing in Colorado, during you schooling, at Fort Collins. Lots of great Fishing in that area. If you what to drive "up the hill", a bit, into Wyoming there is some great small stream fishing, to be had. I'm a newbe to this forum, but not to fishing that area of the country.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum jordan
sounds like your getting some great advice already...
enjoy colorado, its a wonderful place

casey

ARFE
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jordan: If you look at a map you will see that hwy 287 goes north out of Ft Collins, a few miles to the north hwy 14 goes off to the west, that intersection is a convenience store and gas station called "Ted's Place". Hwy 14 leads into Poudre Canyon and follows the river for the entire length. Also get a good map of Ft Collins and you will see how the Poudre runs through town, with a little exploring you will be able to see if there are any trout left in the river after the fire. There also is some GREAT fishing to be had over at the Delaney Buttes lakes that are located about 10 miles west of Walden, CO.....you drive west on hwy 14 all the way through Poudre Canyon to reach Waldon.......this is best fished with a float tube or small pontoon boat. As JMAC mentioned, there also is some great fishing in the Snowies to the north of Ft Collins, you would drive north on hwy 287 to Laramie, then head west on hwy 130 to the Snowie Mtns. Lots of small streams and lakes in the area to explore, get yourself a copy of the Medicine Bow NF to find what I'm referring to. Also the headwaters of the North Platte River originate in the Walden, CO area (there is a fly shop in town called North Park Anglers. North Park Anglers
Stop in and talk with them about fishing and where to go. If you drive north out of Walden, CO on hwy 125, it connects to hwy 230 heading west. At that point start looking on the right side of the road for the brown public access signs that lead into the North Platte river, I think there are 4-5 access points.
Don't forget to do some exploring around Ft Collins, there are tons of lakes to fish warm water species, most will be on private land, but take the time to knock on some doors and ask politely about the possibility of fishing......you might be surprised at the gems you discover. For example, my son has access to a private pond in Longmont that we take the 4 year old grandson to for some excellent smallmouth bass fishing and the best part is that I have never seen another angler on that water so it is like having access to our own private lake and the fishing is just awesome.
Also stop in Laramie at the Four Seasons Fly Shop and pickup a copy of the sagebrush lakes map around that area, there is some excellent fishing to be had, especially in the spring and those lakes are small enough that you can wade effectively.
Just south of Casper on hwy 220 there are several public access points (just look for the brown access signs) to the North Platte, which provides excellent fishing.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 10-19-2012 at 07:26 AM.