The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 PM

reed22 is on a distinguished road
Default Just another UpStater here

Hey guys, the name is Cyle. I haven't fished for over five years and earlier this Summer I picked up a spinning rod/reel combo at Wally★World for $20, since then my equipment list has grown quite a bit! My first experience with a fly rod was back in mid August during a camping trip. My buddy showed me how to do it (sort of) and I hadn't touched one again until the end of September when I was invited to go Salmon fishing up at Salmon River in Altmar. I got my own wadders but was set up with a spinning rod/reel but switched off for his fly rod at some point and as soon as we got back from the trip, mine was in UPS' hands! Needless to say I have been back and forth to Altmar almost every week since, I'm kind of sad to see Salmon season die off, but I am really excited to hunt for those Steelies for the next few months!

Anyway, just thought I would say Hi before I soak up all your knowledge and experience! I guess you can say, I'm hooked!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just another UpStater here

Welcome to the forum! Just came back from the SR. Plenty of salmon still in the upper ff area ! Glad you converted to the fly!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Cyle: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! Looking forward to reading about your progress. Take some time and use the search function on this forum, you will be amazed at the volumes of information here, but if you can't find what your looking for don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry

Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Have you tried on some of the nice Browns in West Canada Creek yet? Or are you too far upstate?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Cyle,Welcome.
it's good to see you are another convert into Flyfishing,looks like you are already hooked.
Anyhow I can't think of a Better Sport as I've tried just about all of them,however I still like my Hunting & Clay Shooting as well.
If you need any advise this is the place to be as there are heaps of very informative people here.
Cheers.
Brian
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Have you tried on some of the nice Browns in West Canada Creek yet? Or are you too far upstate?
Thanks for the welcome guys! And I haven't gotten up there to try that out! I'm down in the Syracuse area, more CNY than Upstate. I'll have to make a trip up sometime!

Yeah Boz, I saw a few Kings at SR on Sunday when I was up there, more Zombies than not, but a few were worth keeping. My buddy caught two Coho and a King. We let the King go because the freezer is full of them, but we kept the Cohos! I spent most of the day bantering back and forth with a Chinook we named "Yellow Tail", I hooked up 7 or 8 times, but he alluded me every time I seen a few Steelies roll by as well, I've been trying to get the knack of float fishing on my fly rod, but I might just end up with a new center pin rig this season
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got fish! Got 11 on Sunday all in good shape and 4 chromers. No float or lead just swinging streamers . Probably see you there in November or later.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed22 View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys! And I haven't gotten up there to try that out! I'm down in the Syracuse area, more CNY than Upstate. I'll have to make a trip up sometime!
It's not that far... we have a summer cottage in Trenton, a couple minutes from the Gold Medal section of the west Canada. It takes me about an hour to drive to Syracuse airport. It's about 12 miles north of Utica, and fishable 12 months.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM

You must be running a traditional fly line to be in the upper fly? Right now I've got a 15lb test mono with a 14lb FC leader for Salmon, using a 6lb Maxima leader for the Steelies I think, this is my first year on those as well, so it's all trial and error and advice from others I'll be getting another spool for my reel and spooling it with a float line so that I can just change that out than having it re-spooled everytime I want to change it up

I will seriously have to check out that water Nick! I'm out in Utica all the time as it is!