The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM

kevindsingleton is on a distinguished road
Default Transplanted Texan trying to learn

Howdy, y'all!

I moved to the Pittsburgh area, from Texas, and I'm discovering a whole new world of fishing. It's a completely different environment, and I'm trying to make adjustments.

One thing that's caught my interest is fly fishing, but not really for trout, or even steelhead (can you catch steelhead on flies?). I'm more interested in smallmouth bass and panfish, especially shore fishing or fly casting from a kayak.

So, I look forward to hanging around and learning all I can about this sport, and I appreciate (in advance) all the knowledge that I'll be gleaning from you in these forums.

Thanks, and thanks for having me!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transplanted Texan trying to learn

Can you catch steelhead on flies ????

YES YES YES
the pictures in my signature are steelhead caught on flies

Welcome to the forum

what area are you located near pittsburgh, im about 20 miles from the city.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:51 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, you can catch steelies on the fly, It's just that I can't seem to. My first season has been unproductive but the numbers in my river are low and it is after all the fish of a thousand casts. That's my excuse any way.

There are others here that enjoy bass and panfish on the fly. Myself included. Welcome.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kevindsingleton,

Welcome to the forum. Fishing from a Kayak can be very productive fishing for Smallmouth. You are welcome to hang around but I hope we see some post from you. There are a lot of experience fly fishers on the forum.

Frank
Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Rover,

I'm in Center Township, Beaver County (between Monaca and Aliquippa), near the confluence of the Ohio and Beaver Rivers. I spend a little time on Raccoon Creek, Raccoon Creek Lake, and up at Shenango, but I'm hoping to find some better water, this spring.

My Texas bass fishing techniques aren't really paying off, up here, so I'm trying to learn about fishing for yellow perch, walleye, smallmouth bass, and panfish. At least the crappie still respond in the ways that I'm used to!

I did go out to Flaugherty Run with spinning gear for trout season, and had two rainbows on the first two casts, but it went downhill, from there. I have a buddy who's lived here for a long time that goes up near Erie for steelhead, but I haven't made the trip, yet.

I enjoy paddling from hole to hole, hunting fish, and I've spent some time in Cape Cod killing stripers from my sit-on-top kayak, but now I'm ready for a more subtle approach. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, but I'm starting to really enjoy the idea of squaring off against the fish, as opposed to bashing them with spinnerbaits!

Kevin
Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM

Zerolimit and Frank,

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be contributing as much as I can, but I'm very new to this, so most of my contributions will be questions!

When's the best time of year to chase steelhead? I'm not used to the winter weather, so I hope it's a warmer time of year! I don't know how people stand these iterminable winters (although, to be fair, it was in the 70s, this week!).

Thanks, again.

Kevin
Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

When's the best time of year to chase steelhead? I'm not used to the winter weather, so I hope it's a warmer time of year! I don't know how people stand these iterminable winters (although, to be fair, it was in the 70s, this week!).

Hi Kevin,

The time of year for Steelhead varies from river to river. Winter runs usually have the bigger fish. Some rivers have a Summer run but they are usually smaller than the Winter fish. Unless you have a river brim full of Steelhead you should be learning fly fishing on lessor fish. Pan fish are great fish to learn on. They are plentiful and it gives you a chance to learn how to handle the rod and reel, your knots and other aspects of fly fishing.

Frank