The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM

jajafofo is on a distinguished road
Default newbie from bama

Hey guys, just found this site today. I've been an occasional fisherman most of my life and thought it might be fun to try my hand at fly fishing. Anyway, I've got a $100 gift card to Academy, and I'd like to buy a few things to get me started with that. I was leaning toward the Pflueger Medalist combo they sell for $50. I'd also try to pick up some sort of beginner fly kit if they sell one. I don't want to spend a ton, mainly because who knows if I'll like it or if I'll be able to go frequently.

The only bad reviews I read about the medalist combo say that the 3 piece rod comes apart when casting. I'm guessing those folks didn't apply any paraffin wax before putting the rod together, so I've largely dismissed those reviews. I know the medalist reel is a good reel, but I've heard that the rod is the most important part of fly fishing (well, aside from technique). I'm thinking this rod will be ok to start with, and if I decide to fly fish more often, I can upgrade later. Thoughts?

Here's the combo:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...1__?N=92168813

Also, any recommendations on a good fly kit assortment? I'll be fishing trout, bream, crappie, and bass mostly.

Any recommendations on other crucial items for a beginner?

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to browsing the forums!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie from bama

Howdy from the frozen North. Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place to start. Tons of good info and people.

Did you buy this rod and reel yet or are you just looking at it. You are right about parafin helping, but it sounds like the tolerances in the farrules are not very good. Unless you are distance casting it should not need wax to stop a coming apart accident.

Next, wooly buggers in a few sizes and colors are a cheap and easy way to start. Poppers of various sizes and colors again. Betts are available in a lot of places and won't break the bank.
yonder likes this.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM

I haven't made a purchase yet. Just looking around and trying to see what I can pick up on the cheap since I don't want to be out much money in case it ends up spending most of its life in the closet.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, then. Here's the deal. That rod is short 2 guides. That and the coming apart thing kind of tells me they are not an overly great rod. Cabelas has a rod called a Three Forks that might be on sale right now and even if they are not are cheap. Cheap does not mean bad though. It is a perfectly good rod. They cast really well. If you start off with something that fights you it probably will end up in the closet. The reel is OK though. You may have to spend a tad more money this way but in the end it could mean the difference between you liking or hating fly fishing.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajafofo View Post
I'd also try to pick up some sort of beginner fly kit if they sell one.
id stay away from tying kits and opt for a cheap started vise and a few materials to make a few fly patterns. seems like most of the kits ive seen come with a bunch of cheap **** and not alot of usable materials

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

oh yeah, and welcome to the site

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

jajafofo,

Welcome from middle Tennessee.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Being a Bammer why not check out your fly shop in Birmingham Deep South Outfitters ,you would have a chance to cast different rods in all price points.see which you might like ,may learn a pointer or two along the way.i was just by today they have a good selection of new and used. And Jasper they have a fly shop. By talking with a good shop owner that can help you get started on the right foot .Big box stores have little to offer except bad advice when it comes to flyfishing.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM

After thinking, reading, thinking, and reading some more, I believe my first fly reel will be this cheap pflueger:

Amazon.com: Pflueger Purist Graphite Fly Reel (Up to 7 Fly Line): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Pflueger Purist Graphite Fly Reel (Up to 7 Fly Line): Sports & Outdoors

And since I have a gift card to Academy, and I have no need of pretty much anything else from academy, I think I'll splurge and pick up this St. Croix rod:

Academy - St. Croix Rio Santo 9' Freshwater Fly Rod

I believe this should be a pretty good starter fly rig, right?

I'll pick up a few flies and maybe a cheap fly case to get me started while I'm there, then slowly pick up a few other things as I need them. Next on the list will be a good cheap rod/reel case. The one's at bass pro shop look decent, and I like the idea of leaving the reel on the rod.