The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM

smitty44 is on a distinguished road
Default All around new guy in Redding, Ca...

Well I am a long time big game saltwater guy having lived on an Island for 20 years, and I am just getting started in the Fly Fishing world. Fishing has been my life ever since I was young , but the ocean was my thing(conventional tackle). Well now I have relocated to Nor Cal and I am gonna embrace what this are has to offer and jump in head first. My grandfather whom I never knew was an avid fly fisherman and for year I have had possesion of all his old stuff and I have always thought in a way it would be the best way I could get "close" to him on this earth. Got my own stuff now and I am really fired up. Glad to have access to other fisherman and info here on this site!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All around new guy in Redding, Ca...

Smitty: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! You will find lots of information on this site by doing some browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions, we will try our best to answer them.

Larry

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome and I like the A-10 there on your avatar as military aircraft are a hobby of mine also...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty44 View Post
Thanks for the welcome and I like the A-10 there on your avatar as military aircraft are a hobby of mine also...
Thanks, the A-10 was the last aircraft I flew in the Air Force, pretty awesome experience, flying out of Eielson AFB, AK made it even better as there is no controlled air space in AK except for airspace around Anchorage and Fairbanks so that meant virtually no restrictions on low altitude flying and getting to fire the gatlin gun on almost every sortie was a blast to say the least.

Larry
fredaevans and smitty44 like this.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Hey there and welcome from the east coast of Canada. I traveled out your way for the first time last year. Wet a line in Lake Shasta (not seriously though).
Love your story about "Gramps". Great way to get to know him I would say. Personality of a loved rod is similar to that of a loved life . Let the rod speak to you; you know, Zen and the Art of Fly Fishing.
Did he have a nice fishing bag? I use my Dad's old postal letter carrier's bag. Would never part with it. It oozes my Dad. Its pictured above in my avatar pic
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Hey there and welcome from the east coast of Canada. I traveled out your way for the first time last year. Wet a line in Lake Shasta (not seriously though).
Love your story about "Gramps". Great way to get to know him I would say. Personality of a loved rod is similar to that of a loved life . Let the rod speak to you; you know, Zen and the Art of Fly Fishing.
Did he have a nice fishing bag? I use my Dad's old postal letter carrier's bag. Would never part with it. It oozes my Dad. Its pictured above in my avatar pic
Hey there! No I don't have his bag, but I have flies, fly tying supplies, rod and reels(dont know that I will use them), maps, journals. and pictures. I actually have his fishing liscense from 1939, gonna keep that with me always. Nice to make your aquaintance!!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Smitty.
Consider yourself blessed. You live in what some call the best fly fishing region in California. Your choices are awesome. You can have shots at Steelhead on the Trinity, Lower Sac, and the Klammath. You have some great waters in the Upper Sac, the Pit, and the McCloud. Plus there are some unnamed tributaries east of town. You also have one of the best organized fly shops in the nation - that one off of Churn Creek Road. If you want info and gear, they got it.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Hi Smitty.
Consider yourself blessed. You live in what some call the best fly fishing region in California. Your choices are awesome. You can have shots at Steelhead on the Trinity, Lower Sac, and the Klammath. You have some great waters in the Upper Sac, the Pit, and the McCloud. Plus there are some unnamed tributaries east of town. You also have one of the best organized fly shops in the nation - that one off of Churn Creek Road. If you want info and gear, they got it.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis
Dennis has a pretty comprehensive list above so I'll just toss in The Rogue that's maybe another 45 minutes to the north. On the Coast you have the Smith, and just into Oregon the Windchuck and Chetco (these three for Salmon and Winter Steelhead. (The very bottom of the Chetco also a very good cutthroat fishery. Head NE up 95 and that will take you into SE Oregon and the lower Williamson River. There's another one there but the name escapes me at the moment.

Bye the Bye, I hope you like HOT SUMMERS! You're about to find out!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If you can take the summers, you'll love it there. When it gets too hot, try running north on 5 around Dunsmuir and you can hide from the heat a little...up nearer Lassen cools off a bit too. Good stillwater fishing to the east as well...

welcome...-Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If you can take the summers, you'll love it there. When it gets too hot, try running north on 5 around Dunsmuir and you can hide from the heat a little...up nearer Lassen cools off a bit too. Good stillwater fishing to the east as well...

welcome...-Mike
Ya I was a dessert rat in the Marine Corps so I can deal with the heat. My family has lived here for a while and I have experienced the heat first hand not to mention the heat will be much more bearable on the river than sittin around the house....